Can my herbs thrive without sunlight?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The weather has really changed over the last few days and I'd like to know if my kitchen windowsill herbs will still thrive without any direct sunlight for days at a time, or is there something I can do to help out the situation? Do they even need any sunlight?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I concur with @Beth_B, your herbs can survive on a windowsill, but they'll need light. It will really help if you can post your hardiness zone, so other gardeners can help you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks for your replies. Sorry I hadn't posted that information about where I live until now, I kind of overlooked that bit. I have updated my profile now and look forward to getting more suggestions about my plants. Thanks again.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your area gets strong sunlight for hours every day, they may get a little yellow but will survive as soon as the sun comes back out strong for a few days.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would say no, but maybe you have a trick up your sleeve or something that I am unaware of. The other users are right though, if you give them some good decent sunlight every once in while you might be okay. It shouldn't be too hard to move them around a little bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I would say no, but maybe you have a trick up your sleeve or something that I am unaware of. The other users are right though, if you give them some good decent sunlight every once in while you might be okay. It shouldn't be too hard to move them around a little bit.
Thanks for that suggestion about moving them around a little so that they get more sunlight. That totally makes sense and I guess it's worth the effort to make sure that my plants are healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Hmm, I can't think of a plant that can survive without sunlight although our welcome plant remains looking healthy inside our terrace for weeks but that may be a different case. If your herb is in a plastic pot then it can maybe be fed with direct morning sunlight once in a while. I said morning sunlight because the scorching sun can sear the plant which is not used to being under the sun. That will do - give it a good sunning once a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
All I'm growing right now is herbs, but I'm also interested if someone has a plant that will grow with minimal sunlight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends on your herbs, some need full sun and other don't need as much. Personally, I wouldn't be to stressed out, plants are supposed to be able to adapt for long days of rain or cloudy months. I would simply reduce the stress on them by not trimming them or overwatering them during the long cloudy days. If you can give them some extra light, that probably would help but I'm sure they'll be fine.

Ask a Question