Sunflowers dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
My sunflowers appear to be dying. They have bugs all over the heads. I've tried spraying them with Spinosad, but it doesn't seem to help. What are these things and how do I kill them? I'm also a little concerned about the method of killing them because I have a bee hive very close to them and wouldn't want to harm the bees. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I may be wrong, but the insects appear to be unrelated to the health of the plant. There doesn't seem to be nearly enough visual damage that would cause those sunflowers to die off. Looks like they're there for the nectar. Maybe someone with more experience with sunflowers could help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just an update.... I got an ID from Texas A&M. They are Leaf Footed bugs. Not good :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Glad you got some information. Were you able to save them, and if so, how are they doing now?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They just look like they are ripe to me, they will die back once they've set seed.

Ask a Question