Planted sunflowers!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Planted these babies just today! I'll update this thread on their growth!

IMG_2221.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've found that sunflowers are one of the easiest plants to plant, I don't even bother digging a hole any more; I just cast the seeds into my garden.

I grow them every year (various varieties), but this year I'm growing Mexican Sunflowers for the first time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Of 24 sunflower seeds I planted Thursday,18 sprouted last night. This is the fastest they have ever sprouted for me, 3 nights!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, I planted giant Russian sunflowers once! At the time I had a brick bungalow and by the end of summer they were towering above the gutters.
The reason I planted them is because the people I bought the seeds from say that they can exceed 14 feet tall with 16 feet at maximum. I am going to really concentrate on beating 16 feet by strict watering and fertilizing. By doing this maybe I can get 12 feet out of them.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is the sunflower competition a yearly thing?
Don't know but it should be. Being as how they are really simple to grow there could be a lot of different categories. Tallest, most flowers, largest flower etc. Give even beginner gardeners a good chance of winning.

Ask a Question