Strawberry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have several strawberry plants in planters that seemy to be doing fairly well. Should have done berries here in a few days. This morning I noticed these growing by one plant. What is it? It doesn't look to me like strawberry, but in new to this. Maybe that's what a young strawberry plant looks like?
20170402_072102.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Those look like mushrooms, but I wouldn't eat them. I get them in my garden all the time, it's just fungus helping with soil making process.
I thought that too, but the stem looks like a regular plant and the "flower" (if that's what its called) is more like a normal leaf or petal than most mushrooms I have ever seen. Again, I am new to all this, so I have NO idea what I'm really talking about!:LOL:

You say they are helpful? SO I should leave them be? Or pluck them out?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I always leave them alone, and no harm comes from it. A lot of commercial soil seems to be infested with these spores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I thought that too, but the stem looks like a regular plant and the "flower" (if that's what its called) is more like a normal leaf or petal than most mushrooms I have ever seen. Again, I am new to all this, so I have NO idea what I'm really talking about!:LOL:

You say they are helpful? SO I should leave them be? Or pluck them out?
I get all types of mushrooms in my yard and some of them do have plant-like stems and some have the typical thick, fibrous stems and some don't have stems at all. You can remove them if you want, but that doesn't mean you're actually removing the fungus, because it's not like a normal seedling where when you pull it out the entire root system also pulls out, since the mushroom head is basically a flower, if you pull it out the fungus will remain in the soil. But it should be alright, I'm still alive:D

P.S. The mushrooms I have that look very similar to your picture, I see mostly around my hugelkultur beds, the next time I see them, I'll take a pic and post it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, as long as they don't hurt my berries I don't mind them. Ive got a handful ripening right now, so now im all psyched up for strawberries!

Ask a Question