My first fail :/ strawberry plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well my first try at it I'm pretty sure I've messed up. It's only been a week since I planted the strawberry seeds but my soil is very firm and wet and I'm noticing green splotches on it in some places. I think I may have over watered. What do you all think? The anticipation is killing me. Should I toss this?

Attachments

• IMG_8887.JPG
    IMG_8887.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 237
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That white stuff is from decomposing organic matter. It is only harmful if the seeds cannot grow through it. Only water with a spray bottle if the top of the soil becomes dry until the plants sprout.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That white stuff is from decomposing organic matter. It is only harmful if the seeds cannot grow through it. Only water with a spray bottle if the top of the soil becomes dry until the plants sprout.

But I haven't watered in a week and it feels firm and wet :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But I haven't watered in a week and it feels firm and wet :(
If it is firm and wet it doesn't need watering. I'm not sure from the photo but it appears that the lid is on the seed starting cells. And if so it is doing what it is supposed to do. Keeping the soil warm and damp. I start my seeds the same way and I rarely have to water before the seeds germinate. Folks new to gardening think plants are like people, that they must have a drink of water every day or so. Not true. Sometimes watering every day or two is necessary but seldom is it needed. Remember that you cannot water a plant too much but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
ChelswannabeGT Don't Be in Such a rush to Give up on Seeds, Give them a chance. It may take another Week or two or even three But Seeds Will Germinate 9 times in ten as long as you follow the instructions on the packet. Just give them a Damp Spray as Chuck Suggests (y) & Keep them away from the Bin ;)

Ask a Question