Help! New Gardener FAILING BAD!

Reaction score
Help! I am new to gardening. I recently planted a few plants on my patio to liven up my new place. While some are doing great, others are not. I've watered daily and they get plenty of sun. What can I do?

See for yourself.

Also if anyone can figure out the flower type I'd appreciate it.
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_8127.jpg
IMG_2331.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hi Shaybay - Firstly your plants look very much like Zinnias to me and secondly I think as you are watering them every day - as Chuck has just mentioned - you are watering them way too much - especially as no plant needs to be watered everyday - as its best to at least allow the surface soil to dry out a bit between watering.

The other problem that I think you may have - is that either you are watering your plants from above so that the foliage is getting wet - rather than the soil around the base of the plant or that perhaps you don't have enough drainage holes in the bottom of your containers for the excess water to drain away - which as Zinnias need good drainage in order to thrive - may also explain why they are looking like they do.

However for the moment I think that the best thing to do - would be to allow the soil to dry out before watering again and to remove all the spent flower heads and decaying foliage - in the hope that will help them to recover :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome aboard!

Excellent advice from Chuck and gata montes (y)

Reaction score
You are killing your Zinnias with kindness which is what happens with new gardeners. Plants generally need about an inch of water a week although plants in pots generally will need more, especially if it is wickedly hot. Zinnias are very durable and they really love the hot weather. Nip off the dead leaves and flower heads and pull out the dead plants. If you can still get some plants replace the ones that went to plant heaven. Lather, rinse, repeat!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group. I like lather, rinse and repeat. Being a gardener even one that has been doing it for years you will often have to lather, rinse and repeat. Have fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I used to have a similar issues way back in 2013 when I had sunflowers. I killed them with kindness (I still don’t forgive myself) because I watered them way too much (daily). So, you are watering them extremely too much! If they are zinnias, “ In general, zinnias typically need 1 inch of water once every five to seven days.“ (http://homeguides.sfgate.com/much-water-should-use-water-zinnias-75537.html)

Anyways, good luck with your zinnias! Don’t kill them with kindness!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
they are zinnias,, yes, watering too too much. Mine are outside in the summer, let mother nature do its thing, if it has not rained in a while, like weeks, than I might throw them some water. but all is well.

Ask a Question