Strawberry leaf tips turning brown..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I planted some bareroot strawberry plants about 2 weeks ago. Some are growing nicely, but I'm having a problem with some of the tips of the leaves on others turning brown, which eventually turns into the whole leaf turning brown and crumbling off. The plants I have that get more shade during the day seemed to look healthier, so I initially thought it might be lack of water. I've bumped up the water, but still having the same problem. I know my PH is a little high; between 7.5-8 I believe. So I know I need to work on lowering that. Does this look like a potential PH related problem? Or does this look like some of other nutrient deficiency?
5FF153B0-A008-4243-848E-0F09B0263D5B.jpeg
72DD8723-75A1-400B-9DB3-578775FB081C.jpeg
8E9226F5-2285-49BB-BE29-AAD51194E8F4.jpeg
D6A7F516-D807-4087-BC8B-A615C6AD6617.jpeg
def

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe the leaves burn in the sun. If you water from the top and the sun hits the leaves when they`re wet? I don`t see any sign of leaf spot which is good. I would remove leaves that have browned I think, and water early or late at the base of the plant only - not on the foliage.

Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maybe the leaves burn in the sun. If you water from the top and the sun hits the leaves when they`re wet? I don`t see any sign of leaf spot which is good. I would remove leaves that have browned I think, and water early or late at the base of the plant only - not on the foliage.

Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the reply! I have been watering them from the top, and sometimes in the middle of the day so that could definitely be part of the problem. I have drip tape underneath the landscape fabric, so I'm hoping to have that hooked up and running in the next few days. Fingers crossed that helps! In the meantime, I'll definitely try watering earlier in the day/evening.

Ask a Question