Wanting more strawberry runners

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard that in order to produce fruit, you must snip the runners. I have the opposite goal. I want runners and more plants but dont care for having fruit yet.

Am i assuming correctly then that i should be snipping off any flowers that i see?

Also, from what i understand, strawberry plants that are 3 years and older are often removed because fruit production is sifnificantly lowered. Could these older strawberry plants be kept around to produce healthy runners as vigorously as younger strawberry plants would?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Strawberry plants can reproduce asexually through their stolons, also called "runners". As the stolons grow out across the ground, they periodically form structures called "nodes". You can use paper clips to hold the runners in place until the stolon roots attach. After the root seats well in the soil, you can snip them and have an individual plant from the mother. When strawberry plants reproduce asexually, like this, the new daughter plants are clones of the original "mother" plant.
Trim the strawberry runners often, grow the strawberries in a sandy loam that is nutrient dense and make sure you give them plenty of needed water. That's how to get more flowers.

Ask a Question