Strawberry gardening project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I built this laundry hamper strawberry tower today:

CD899B36-E76E-49E3-B7C2-E0D573B1E53D.jpeg

I was extra careful to make sure none of the crowns were buried. However, my concern is the heat. I did a little research, and it said strawberries should be planted at fall and grown as an annual in my climate (zone 11). The reason is because summers get too hot here.

I’m stubborn, and I want to grow strawberries year round. I am able to bring the plant indoors in the summer and put a plant light on them. That’s not a problem for me. Am I doomed to fail with planting the strawberries now? Is there any way I can make this work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I built this laundry hamper strawberry tower today:

View attachment 62349

I was extra careful to make sure none of the crowns were buried. However, my concern is the heat. I did a little research, and it said strawberries should be planted at fall and grown as an annual in my climate (zone 11). The reason is because summers get too hot here.

I’m stubborn, and I want to grow strawberries year round. I am able to bring the plant indoors in the summer and put a plant light on them. That’s not a problem for me. Am I doomed to fail with planting the strawberries now? Is there any way I can make this work?
Yes, if you planted everbearing strawberry plants. Otherwise its very doubtful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I did plant Everbearing. So do I need to bring them inside? Or can I leave them in a part shade spot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did plant Everbearing. So do I need to bring them inside? Or can I leave them in a part shade spot?
I would put them in partial shade during the heat of the afternoon. In a good strawberry growing location one would expect 3 crops but where you are????????? Probably maybe 1 1/2 - 2.

Ask a Question