Strawberry Expert Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other variation is early, middle, late season or perennial cropping. Some recommend one each of the first three and a perennial so there are two varieties cropping at any one time, then if one variety has a bad season it does not matter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Honeye is early cropping, supposed to be a good one and heavy cropping in June, July. Albion Is a perennial and should go on to early October.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I think Albion is similar to the ones I used to grow.
I think Honeye will be planted now and allowed to produce a lot of runners and then harvested next summer as ten times more plants then you planted this summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All strawberry plants are NOT the same. Plants come from runners that can be transplanted first week of July.

Assume you plant 12 new plants July 1st each plant will grow about 10 runners and produce about 120 new plants by first frost that is Nov 1st for us. 7 months later about May 15 the 120 plants start producing ripe strawberries for about 5 weeks. Those 120 plants will produce about 7 gallons of ripe strawberries. This strawberry plants will now grow 1200 runners to transplant for next years crop. 120 plants will grow 1200 new plant for next year. The old plants should be tilled under so they are gone, if you let them grow they will produce a few strawberries next year but not 7 gallons again you might get 1/2 gallon from those 120 old plants. This variety of strawberry it is best to harvest 1 crop then replace the plants with new ones you grow FREE from the old plant.

There is another variety of strawberries that takes 2 years to get the first crop. If you plant 12 plants in July they live all winter and do not produce runner until next June. Your 12 plants produce 120 plants next summer then you wait another year to get a good crop of strawberries.

I like the 1 year plants much better than the 2 year plants.

Strawberry plants are very hardy plants freezing weather is no problem here it was -7°f this winter for a week plants did good.

Some strawberries are known for good flavor others are known for sweetness and some are known to grow very large berries.
How do you keep track of what’s new and what’s old?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you keep track of what’s new and what’s old?

July 1st I transplant 15 plants to a new 30 ft row. By Nov 1 plant runners have produced 150 new plants. Next May 15 to June 25 you harvest 10 gallons of berries.

Now you transplant 15 plants to a new row and till the old plants into the soil. By Nov 1 the 15 plants have made 150 new plants. About May 15 to June 25 you harvest 10 gallons of berries.

Now you transplant 15 plants to a new row, etc. Runners go in all directions the 30 ft row ends up being 3 ft wide 32 ft long.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put half a dozen runners in 14 litre buckets in the cold greenhouse as an experiment, they are doing well. It will mean a lot more space freed up in the veg bed, plus I can move them up on the patio just outside the door when they start fruiting.

Ask a Question