Strange wilting on "Opening Night" rose

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there,
We planted this rose last year and it has been coming in nicely this spring but noticed the other day a couple of branches are wilting. I cut them at the base (with alcohol cleaned shears) and this is what the pruned branches look like. Can someone id the problem? Thank you!
sick rose stem 3.png

sick rose stem.png
sick rose stem 2.png
sick rose on plant.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Brown/blackish stems on any plant is a sign of watering too often and keeping the roots too wet. It is usually the beginning stage of root rot. You will also probably notice browning leaf margins/tips.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you move this rose recently? .... @Chuck - you beat me to it, I was just about to get to watering (over or under) probably over. Then aphids, and hopefully not verticillium wilt ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you move this rose recently? .... @Chuck - you beat me to it, I was just about to get to watering (over or under) probably over. Then aphids, and hopefully not verticillium wilt ;)
Hi Tetters! Thank you for your reply. Haven’t moved it, planted it last May. A ton of rain in the last week, so hoping that’s the reason (and that we get a little break from it this week).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your soil suffers water-logging too much, it might help to dig in some horticultural grit.

Ask a Question