Any Strange Volunteers Found

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is the time of year when I'm mostly growing Brassicas, Wild Onions and some types of legumes. However, I do get the occasional volunteer that pops up out of season, like the three tomato plants I got growing now and I've even been able to harvest a few tomatoes, but I think they're all going to die tonight, because it's suppose to get down to 31 deg. Hopefully this is the coldest night for this year, but living in zone 9a we can get as low as 20.

I won't cover them up, I don't like babysitting plants, if they can't take it, I let them die. I got plenty of other food stuff, including "weeds" that's available in the yard.

I am making an exception for this one volunteer:

The other day I was doing chop and drop on dead banana leaves and on a banana plant directly in the middle of this patch was a little seedling growing from the fibrous end of the leaf (next to the trunk). I carefully cut the area from the banana trunk, got out into the light and was dumbfounded to see it was a sunflower seedling, probably germinated about 2-weeks before my finding it. I have no idea how this seed found its way onto the banana plant. It was looking very bad, since it was growing in deep shade, but I took it and buried it, along with the section of leaf in a sunny location; I didn't dare to remove it from the leaf, since the roots were well embedded.

It got down to 35 deg last night with a very heavy wind from the NW, so I covered it for protection and I'll cover it again tonight. It's actually looking much healthier and greener now and I hope to get a pic soon. This will be my first sunflower of the year, if I can keep it alive.
:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few months ago I had a seedling of Peperomia caperata come up in a pot.
It's always interesting to see the seedling form of a plant you usually encounter as a cutting or division.
The seedling looks somewhat like the cultivar 'Silver Ripple'.

Ask a Question