Strange unknown plants in pots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of my indoor plants have started sprouting unknown plants in some of my indoor plant plants. The garden its self it right next to my slightly open window is it possible some air-borne seeds have crept through and germinated????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of soil/compost have you used? It could well be that it held weed seeds already. It has been known to happen. If it is just ''topsoil'' has it been properly sterilised?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some of my indoor plants have started sprouting unknown plants in some of my indoor plant plants. The garden its self it right next to my slightly open window is it possible some air-borne seeds have crept through and germinated????
Are you using any worm castings? Or does the potting soil contain worm castings? I've had random weeds pop up due to castings. I'd say your potting soil has somehow got "contaminated" with random weed seeds and has nothing to do with birds or traveling seeds near your established plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seeds are experts at distributing themselves in every possible way. If you gardened in a sealed greenhouse with an airlock I reckon you would still get weeds eventually, a seed would be on someone's shoe, or in their hair, waft on the wind through the airlocks or get in the water supply. Weeds developed on the edge, between the forest and the bare rock, they are survivors and have to be able to get about, seeds is their main route and they do it through diversity and sheer quantity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of soil/compost have you used? It could well be that it held weed seeds already. It has been known to happen. If it is just ''topsoil'' has it been properly sterilised?
Apparently it is Dobbie's multi-purpose compost peat free mix

Ask a Question