Starting seeds for spring this weekend. anyone else getting started?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Careful about planting to early without artificial light, the seedings grow too tall and leggy :)

Thanks very much for the tip, zigs! Could you recommend any trusted brands of artificial lighting? Any way to get a jump start on the weather sounds like a great investment to me. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Way to soon for me to do any planting, even indoors, Alas I will have to be happy with my garden catalogs for awhile. I have had it on my mind since reading that Crown of Thorns thread that i am going to replace that plant this year. As if on cue High Country catalog sent out an issue on cacti so maybe now I will find this plant again. March will be when I start seedlings, memorial day is when the annuals usually go in. I know it's not far but it seems like it today. We have been in the middle of Lake effect snow for the last 48 hours. It isn't fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hot peppers christmas day
then February 7 leeks
February 11 pansies nicotiana
February 17 gazania
March 13 geraniums
March 20 tomatoes, zinnias
and on and on
and maybe lots of impulse planting too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The only thing I currently grow are radish sprouts and mung bean sprouts. I don't have a garden anymore. Of course I'll try to plant some vegetables indoors, but I have to organize my apartment first.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I started my tomato plants yesterday. I have a full tray of 9-cell blocks which equals 72 plants if they all germinate. I may have overdone it a bit;). As soon as they germinate and I can turn on the lights, I'll see how many we may have and start touting their advantages to the neighbors!
The herbs will get started next week, and I just got a bag of Yukon Gold seed potatoes at the feed store. I've never tried Yukons, but our garden is a bit of an experiment each year anyway. I'll get 10 lbs. of Red LaSoda potatoes from the feed store later.
Chuck, what variety of peppers do you plant? We stick to California Wonder sweet bells, with a couple of colored bells thrown in. Folks at the food pantry keep asking for hot peppers, but I'm not familiar with anything except jalapenos, and those I get at the grocery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I started my tomato plants yesterday. I have a full tray of 9-cell blocks which equals 72 plants if they all germinate. I may have overdone it a bit;). As soon as they germinate and I can turn on the lights, I'll see how many we may have and start touting their advantages to the neighbors!
The herbs will get started next week, and I just got a bag of Yukon Gold seed potatoes at the feed store. I've never tried Yukons, but our garden is a bit of an experiment each year anyway. I'll get 10 lbs. of Red LaSoda potatoes from the feed store later.
Chuck, what variety of peppers do you plant? We stick to California Wonder sweet bells, with a couple of colored bells thrown in. Folks at the food pantry keep asking for hot peppers, but I'm not familiar with anything except jalapenos, and those I get at the grocery.
I have already planted my seeds except for the herbs which I am doing as we speak. This year I am planting 14 different tomatoes and 7 different peppers. The peppers I planted are two hot varieties and five sweet. I'm not much of a hot pepper person but I do eat quite a few hot pickled peppers. The two hot varieties are Tobasco and Hot Red Cherry. For some reason I fail to get a good crop with the bells so instead I plant the elongated varieties. This year I planted Giant Marconi, Cubanelle, Aconcaqua, Corno Di Toro and Sweet Banana. For the hot peppers last year I planted Serranos which did really well, Hungarian Yellow Wax which did OK, Cayenne which did super good and Hot Portugal which also did OK but not spectular. I don't plant Jalapenos either. They are too cheap at the store. Hot peppers here do better than the sweets. They produce longer and can take the heat a lot better then the sweets do. I have grown in the past a lot of varieties of hot peppers and very few did poorly. If I had to pick one hot pepper for eating and pickling it think I would go with the Serrano and for drying Cayenne

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
started my first flat yesterday because I couldnt wait any longer ;)

5 walking onions
5 sweet basil
5 parsley
10 broccoli
5 broccoli raab
10 cauliflower
5 romaine lettuce
5 cabbage

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck, I'll try Serranos. That sounds like a hot pepper that would be welcome at the food pantry. I looked Serranos up in a couple of my seed catalogs, and I should be able to grow them. Thanks for the information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, I'll try Serranos. That sounds like a hot pepper that would be welcome at the food pantry. I looked Serranos up in a couple of my seed catalogs, and I should be able to grow them. Thanks for the information.
I our climate they are easy to grow. They aren't hot like a habanero but for most of us plenty hot enough. There is also a tiny hot pepper that you don't grow in the garden, you plant them as perennials on the south side of your house. There are two varieties and they are slightly different. One is called the chilli petin and the other is called the chilli pequin. The petin is round and about 1/8' in diameter while the pequin is football shaped and about 1/4" inches long. They are tiny but potent and make excellent pickled and fresh eating peppers. They also dry very well but it takes a jillion of them. If you protect them from freezing, and they are fairly cold hardy, they will live for years and become very attractive bushes or small trees. You can often find them growing wild along fence rows but most nurserys will also have them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck, we have chili pequin along the west fence. I've never harvested nor used them, but the mockingbirds seem to really love them.
I'll stick with Serranos for now--I don't intend to use them but a hot pepper has been requested by some of the food pantry clients, and Serranos seem to fit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, we have chili pequin along the west fence. I've never harvested nor used them, but the mockingbirds seem to really love them.
I'll stick with Serranos for now--I don't intend to use them but a hot pepper has been requested by some of the food pantry clients, and Serranos seem to fit.
If you can, harvest some of the red ripe pequins for seed. The deer ate most of mine and the armadillos dug up the rest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
These are hot pepper seedlings I started Christmas Day
soil blocks 2015 (1).JPG
. In the blocks that didn't show any sprouts, I planted some more seeds yesterday.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When it comes to gardening, we all are. There's more to learn than any individual has time to learn. If we are lucky, we are given maybe 80 or even 90 years on this planet. Sounds like a lot. Knock of maybe 20 of those years for our childhood and youth, because often kids aren't that interested in gardening. Knock off maybe 10 of those years at the end, because often the very old can't manage to keep it going, and knock off maybe 10 more years for various normal life things taking priority. That means if we're lucky, we get maybe 40 years for gardening. Still sounds like a lot, until you consider that we work to nature's calendar, which means those 40 years are really more like 40 attempts to get it right:)

Or maybe another way to look at it is that non of us are beginners. If there is a beginning, there must surely also be an end. The garden is never done. The garden doesn't stop growing if we stop tending it. We're just temporary keepers, just passing through, pausing to do our bit along the way.

That's a very poetic way to think of it. My problem is I have so many wonderful ideas (usually found on pinterest) and not enough funds to try them all!

Ask a Question