Starting seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Hi all...

I can grow plants that I have bought at Lowes or a nursery, but I have never tried from the seed... I started several rows in a seed pod tray, and a lot of Tomato and Broccoli are sprouted (3 days on a heating pad)... The leaves are tiny, and my question is do I transfer the pods to a small container now, or wait a little longer???

I was thinking I was late, but it snowed all morning, so I have a week or so until normal plants go outside

Thanks

Attachments

• Kodak easy share.JPG
    Kodak easy share.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 394
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
That post is a little confusing. Judging by that pic though I'd say wait until you get a true set of leaves on those tomatoes. Then pot them up. And as mentioned it seems a little early to be putting them outside. If it just snowed it might be very early. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
SMC, you don't mention your location, but if it snowed yesterday, you are likely several weeks away from putting youngsters, like these, outside. Let them leaf up some more and the stems widen and then transplant to a small pot for at least a week, indoors...then move them to a garage or place between inside and outside (this is called hardening) for a week - before you move them outdoors. Again give them a few days before planting in the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
My bad... I thought I mentioned I'm in Montana... No snow today, but frost in the morning... It's supposed to be close to 70 today and close to 80 tomorrow... The pic is exactly what I get from that camera, unfortunately...

Transferring to a small pot was what I intended, I didn't know I can keep them in the seed tray... Most of the Tomatoes and Broccoli are sprouted, but peppers aren't even showing yet...

Does somebody have a pic of what they should look like right before transfer to a small pot???

Thanks

Ask a Question