Started my new job yesterday

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Working in the "Garden Center" can be really hard. I remember when the shipments would come in and we would have saplings and such to put out. At first they are not heavy.... but after a couple of pallets of plants, them jokers feel like a 1000 pounds. Then there are the ones that come in the large porcelain pots that weigh close to 50 pounds a piece (had one that took two of us to move. It was a large elephant statue with a sapling in it. I can't remember what kind). It can be a serious work out. But in the end it is worth it. Gets your body toned and ready to start on your garden. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Working in the "Garden Center" can be really hard. ...but after a couple of pallets of plants, them jokers feel like a 1000 pounds.

I'll get to experience that this week. Tomorrow is Mardi Gras, but on Wednesday we are expecting a shipment of tropical plants. Someone will have to check them in and the merchandiser will let us know where they go. There are a couple I have my eye on from last week and some of the older stock, but I am trying to exercise restraint, lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent well done you Chanel i am so pleased for you.

Working at something you love.

When on holiday in the states i have visited lowes garden stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Don't worry, you will only be sore for a couple of months. Then it will be easy for you and not so bad.

Well, that sore spot in my shoulder is already better :) I placed an entire palate of firewood bags in the bays today by myself (quite plesased at that) and didn't get tired, so I guess I am coming along. They don't have the women lift anything super heavy and there is equipment to assist with all that. My real issue is being on my feet for long periods without moving around because it's hard on my back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Excellent well done you Chanel i am so pleased for you.

Working at something you love.

When on holiday in the states i have visited lowes garden stores.

Thanks, Scotkat! I am enjoying it, though this week it's been really cold as I've been going in before sunrise. I've learned a lot in the short time though and I'm looking forward to the coming weeks. It's a good opportunity on all fronts - and my garden will be gorgeous by the time summer rolls around!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, that sore spot in my shoulder is already better :) I placed an entire palate of firewood bags in the bays today by myself (quite plesased at that) and didn't get tired, so I guess I am coming along. They don't have the women lift anything super heavy and there is equipment to assist with all that. My real issue is being on my feet for long periods without moving around because it's hard on my back.

OH LUCKY YOU! LOL When I worked in the Garden Center, there was just me and another girl. We had to do EVERYTHING. LMAO pushing the riding lawnmowers were the worse in my opinion. Those jokers don't move very easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
OH LUCKY YOU! LOL When I worked in the Garden Center, there was just me and another girl. We had to do EVERYTHING. LMAO pushing the riding lawnmowers were the worse in my opinion. Those jokers don't move very easy.

Fortunately for me (at least for now) riding mowers are an INSIDE lawn and garden item, lol. They are usually a special order item, but a vendor at a recent training told me we were getting some at our store soon. Did you know that you have to change the oil on those things after every 5 hours of use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I found out too. I always thought that they are like cars and get changed every x amount of miles. LMAO. Guess that goes to show how much I know! I'm sure not a lot of people know about that. You know, now that you work at Lowes you can get the insides out of how to properly care for different items such as riding lawn mowers. You should do threads on that... a lot of people could use the information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I found out too. I always thought that they are like cars and get changed every x amount of miles. LMAO. Guess that goes to show how much I know! I'm sure not a lot of people know about that. You know, now that you work at Lowes you can get the insides out of how to properly care for different items such as riding lawn mowers. You should do threads on that... a lot of people could use the information.

Well, I have written some gardening articles so I am planning on getting back to that... Until a few weeks ago I was planning singles events and I had a Twitter account and FB page dedicated to that. I've changed both to a local focus and started a FB garden page (Nola Gardenista).

I shared a link on calculating how much mulch you need to buy and I'm planning on posting about monkey grass soon. I just had some reading and things to catch up on in the garden while the weather was nice (in the 70s today and HOT if you can believe that).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow! I'm really happy for you. Nothing beats doing something you love to do.

Thank you!

Awesome. I'll have to check it out. I could use all the gardening tips I can get.

So much to learn! I spend more time reading about plants these days than doing anything else! It's a good thing I have the job as an excuse, lol.

What a perfect job! I should look this year and see if they are hiring!!

Did you check? You know, a lot of the time you're busy doing other things like restocking the shelves and don't even have to talk to anyone.

Reaction score
hope it works out for you. i've always thought that would be a good part time job for a season or two. make some extra cash and get deals on home needs, assuming you get an employee discount.

Ask a Question