Started my new job yesterday

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've only been here a short time, and I picked it up immediately on her knowledge, and caring of the plant world. Well said ACSAPA. (y)

Aw, thanks!

You are perfect for that job because of your extensive plant knowledge.
They're lucky to have you on their team.

Thanks! I sure hope so as I'd like it to last for a while. I've been thinking about you - PM and let me know what's going on with you and your daughter.

Awesome! See we all can learn something new =D You already know a lot on this subject tho, but I'm sure there is always something new we can all learn out there =D

So true! We got a clerodenrum in today and I wanted to look it up to see if it was like the butterfly one - that thing grows into a huge-normous tree! I was just about to recommend it to someone as a shrub, but it will have to be carefully pruned and maintained.

Reaction score
So true! We got a clerodenrum in today and I wanted to look it up to see if it was like the butterfly one - that thing grows into a huge-normous tree! I was just about to recommend it to someone as a shrub, but it will have to be carefully pruned and maintained.

Hehehe You sure are having lots of fun over there :LOL: Have as much fun as you can, you are so lucky for loving what you do, hopefully I'll be doing something very similar soon ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hehehe You sure are having lots of fun over there :LOL: Have as much fun as you can, you are so lucky for loving what you do, hopefully I'll be doing something very similar soon ;)

Good luck! I hope you get to do it! Don't get me wrong, it's tough being on my feet, and the job is very physical at times, but it feels good to be able to be helpful and tell people how they can do things, especially how they can simplify some aspects of gardening. Now I can justify all that time I spend reading stuff, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, no, that doesn't happen at my store. Almost everyone stops to talk to me, lol. Quite often they are asking me about stuff in other departments I know NOTHING about! Most of the time though, I 'm able to find the thing, or find someone else who can find it. Sometimes it's had to get tasks completed.

I've been guilty of that before until I learned quickly that each department is run differently and so what happens in other areas doesn't really pertain to you. >.>; Each department has their own bubble unless they're neighboring others enough to know where to direct people to. People automatically assume that because you work in the store you know everything about it, when that's not always the case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used to work in the garden center in both Walmart and Kmart and it was lots of fun. This is before I even started to think about gardening. I was introduced to plants I did not even know existed. The only thing that I had an issue with was the fertilizer. The smell gave me such terrible headaches.

Reaction score
Good luck! I hope you get to do it! Don't get me wrong, it's tough being on my feet, and the job is very physical at times, but it feels good to be able to be helpful and tell people how they can do things, especially how they can simplify some aspects of gardening. Now I can justify all that time I spend reading stuff, lol.

Oh yeah! I had forgot about that part! So most of the time you got to be on your feet, right? And by physical you mean you sometimes have to carry around big pots and stuff like that? Am not sure I could do the last one :oops: It's great you are putting all that knowledge to good use =D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh yeah! I had forgot about that part! So most of the time you got to be on your feet, right? And by physical you mean you sometimes have to carry around big pots and stuff like that? Am not sure I could do the last one :oops: It's great you are putting all that knowledge to good use =D

I am on my feet the ENTIRE time. I've let them know about my back issues and I try to make sure to take my 15 minute breaks exactly on the two hour mark, but sometimes it extends to the three hour mark. I've unloaded bales of pine straw with a long handled cultivator - just like farm work, lol. Stacked bags of fire logs... We help people load soil and mulch in their vehicles... And dragging that extra long, heavy duty garden hose around is no picnic either, lol.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Think how fit you'll be by the summer :D

Does take it out of you when you start new things, took me a month when I first started as a groundsman, but i'd not done physical work before that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

Does take it out of you when you start new things, took me a month when I first started as a groundsman, but i'd not done physical work before that.
I was a groundsman at a large cemetery for what seemed like an excruciating long summer. Gotta say,I did sleep good at night tho. :rolleyes:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was eating all my days food at 10 o'clock break :D Had to get more at lunchtime :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Congrats on the new job. Last year about this time I saw a sign at my local Lowe's for help in the Lawn and Garden Center. I was so tempted to apply, but .... I wish I had applied, but I'm so shy and introverted, I'm not sure that I would be able to deal with people all day long - boo! I think it would be so much fun. Sounds like it's working out great for you. Good Luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Ha! Told one of the managers that now that I work there I don't have to join a gym.

I was a groundsman at a large cemetery for what seemed like an excruciating long summer. Gotta say,I did sleep good at night tho. :rolleyes:

To say that I am exhausted at the end of the day is an understatement. Quite often I am nodding off before 9 pm. Next week I have to go in for 5:30 for three days in a row. That's going to be rough, but each day it's a short shift, so that will help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Congrats on the new job. Last year about this time I saw a sign at my local Lowe's for help in the Lawn and Garden Center. I was so tempted to apply, but .... I wish I had applied, but I'm so shy and introverted, I'm not sure that I would be able to deal with people all day long - boo! I think it would be so much fun. Sounds like it's working out great for you. Good Luck.

Thanks! You should have applied, especially if gardening is your passion! This is the busiest time of year so go for it, your local store may still be hiring. Also, working there would be a good chance for you to get past your shyness.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

I'm shy too :) You can get over it (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm shy too :) You can get over it (y)
I know - if I just make myself get out there, it would become easier. I regret that I lost the opportunity (assuming I could haven't even gotten the job) - to meet new people with a love of gardening, to help the newbies and to be around plants and flowers all day long. What a perfect job! I should look this year and see if they are hiring!!

Ask a Question