Squash - The underappreciated candidate

Reaction score
Some of the pros and cons of squash are that some people find it an unappealing dish. I personally love it and find that it grows in what otherwise would be difficult soil, has large yields and is very good for you and versatile if you know how to prepare it.

Another good factor is that your crop will be very pest resistant just due to the nature of he hearty skin. If you are one who says I don't eat squash, consider the varieties from several differing zuccini (colors and taste) to the exotics like spaghetti squash or the crooknecks.

I had such a wonderful crop one year, I had more than I could eat, freeze or give to friends and family. I decided to put an add on-line in the "free category" and simply said "Free home grown squash". In the first hour I received over 130 responses. I called or emailed the responders in order and was able to give away several bags to dozens of takers. I asked when they came for recipes or suggestions and heard everything from dehydrated squash "chips" (for those on restricted diets) to stuffed squash (much like stuffed peppers). I tried many of the suggestions and they were great.

Bottom line is if you've never tried growing squash, set aside some room. throw em in and watch em grow. I will show a picture of just a simple pick in a single day. Good luck and don't underestimate the humble squash.

Attachments

• 061313153707.jpeg
    061313153707.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 420
Reaction score
What would you say your top three uses are for it? This is one of those vegetables I've bought on impulse a few times and have just sat on my kitchen counter guilting me until I can convince myself they've gone bad and finally toss them :/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother grows squash and currently, we have more of it than we could eat, so some of it has too be freezed. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the vegetable. Growing it is fun, because it looks nice and it doesn't need anything special, but I don't enjoy eating it:(

Reaction score
saying "growing squash" is kind of like saying "growing fruit" - there are so many kinds to choose from, with different tastes and different uses, that you can't just lump them together. I love acorn squash, because it has a sweet nutty taste and is small enough to use a whole one in one dish. I usually use it to make a Moroccan chicken stew, but I think it would taste wonderful in any type of curry. Butternut is nice as well, good for making soups with. I can't stand spaghetti squash, although many people rave about it. I admit is does look cool, in how it forms pasta-like strands, but the taste leaves me cold. And of course, pumpkin is my favourite, and my kids, and pretty much all of it ends up in sweet baking, although a pumpkin soup is very nice.

Reaction score
My mother grows squash and currently, we have more of it than we could eat, so some of it has too be freezed. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the vegetable. Growing it is fun, because it looks nice and it doesn't need anything special, but I don't enjoy eating it:(
you could just grow ornamental ones, and then you'd have them in the fall for beautiful decorations:D
autumn-gourds-for-fall-decorations.jpg

Reaction score
LOL - after this thread, we went grocery shopping, and I had to get an acorn squash. I'm going to make up a nice vegetable curry to take for lunches at work. mmmmmm

Reaction score
You all added nicely to the conversation. YES there are so many varieties. My top three uses...well I am sure I will go on from there.

1) Italians call it "gardiniera" a concoction of vegetables like eggplant, squash (of any kind, often green or white zuccini), tomatoes, green peppers (and other favorites) simmered with olive oil, onions and garlic. Serve it as a side dish or with crusty bread and don't forget to sprinkle on a bit of Parmesan. (There is a similar usage the French call ratatouille)

2) I out squash in my stir fries, it can add a lot of color whether you choose the green, grey (yes there is a grey) or yellow squash

3) I sliver carrots and squash and add it to my beef or turkey meatloaf...adds a texture and a moistness that really is quite enjoyable

4) Soups and stews...can't get enough veggies

5) Stuffed squash (If you get the big ones, scoop out the seeds) cut lengthwise and then make individual sizes and stuff just like a stuffed pepper or cabbage...even non squash lovers have raved about this

6) A lot of my friends make zuccini bread, but I haven't yet.

Thanks for all your ideas and questions.

Reaction score
What would you say your top three uses are for it? This is one of those vegetables I've bought on impulse a few times and have just sat on my kitchen counter guilting me until I can convince myself they've gone bad and finally toss them :/

You were my inspiration for a long list. Next time give em a whirl, you won't be disappointed. Oh I just remembered another...

Brush slices of squash with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, pierce lightly with a fork and throw em on your barbeque grill along with eggplant prepared the same way (unless that one is a challenge too). I serve these grilled veggies as a side dish and I swear I have made quite a few converts. They smell incredible while on the grill and my neighbors commented so I made up some dishes. Rave reviews and I heard more than once .."I was not a squash person..but..."

Reaction score
Ooh, I like the idea of using it in meatloaf. I've used carrots but hadn't thought of squash.

Stuffed squash sounds difficult, though. Maybe one weekend when I'm feeling ambitious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This week, I ate stuffed squash, cooked squash and fried squash. My mother keeps adding it to every meal. Help me:eek: Really, I can't even look at it anymore. Too much squash is not a good thing at all. I wish we had too many tomatoes instead:D

Reaction score
I LOVE butternut squash! Mmmm! I can't wait to see it at the road-side farm stands! I cut it up and roast it with olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, garlic...whatever pleases me in the moment....and it's SO delicious! A local grocery store sells roasted butternut squash tossed with fresh spinach leaves and craisins...it's fantastic and easy to recreate at home. And leftover it makes the YUMMIEST omelettes!!!

Zucchini is also a favorite and I eat as much of it as I can in the summer when it's available cheap. Tossed into a pan and sauteed in olive oil with whatever other veggies I have on hand, or even alone, it's SO good!

Okay, I have to make a list of the things I'll plant in the spring. Could be I have to quit my job to take up gardening full time! ;)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a great fan, but i'm liking my salted Marrows at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love butternut squash, especially in a Moroccan tagine... yum! Never been a fan of marrow, but to be fair I don't think I've had it since I was a kid (and I was an extremely fussy eater back then) so I should give it another go.

Reaction score
When I lived in Texas I grew so many squash that I feed my whole neighborhood. We ate so many we started to pretend they were cucumbers and threw salad dressing on them. They are a treat to grow, they constantly produce.

Reaction score
I love butternut squash, especially in a Moroccan tagine... yum! Never been a fan of marrow, but to be fair I don't think I've had it since I was a kid (and I was an extremely fussy eater back then) so I should give it another go.
chopped up and sauteed with fresh tomato, seasoned with pesto or greek spice mix- it's worth having another try for!

Ask a Question