Squash - The underappreciated candidate

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I slice marrows and dip them in salt about an hour before cooking, draws the water out of them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I slice marrows and dip them in salt about an hour before cooking, draws the water out of them.
De-gorging it's called.
Gets the bitterness out.
The Greeks thinly slice, batter and deep fry courgettes, and they almost taste like banana.
They call them kolokeethakia, and Crete was the first placed I encountered courgette flowers stuffed with Dolamathes filling.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
De-gorging it's called.
Gets the bitterness out.
The Greeks thinly slice, batter and deep fry courgettes, and they almost taste like banana.
They call them kolokeethakia, and Crete was the first placed I encountered courgette flowers stuffed with Dolamathes filling.

Not De-corging then? :D

I noticed they were less bitter after (y)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had butternut squash for the first time this summer the taste is different but it was ok once I figured out how to peel the hard skin off. The picture above of the different squash for decoration is nice and probably what I would do, not too many people in my family eat squash.

Reaction score
Some of the pros and cons of squash are that some people find it an unappealing dish. I personally love it and find that it grows in what otherwise would be difficult soil, has large yields and is very good for you and versatile if you know how to prepare it.

Another good factor is that your crop will be very pest resistant just due to the nature of he hearty skin. If you are one who says I don't eat squash, consider the varieties from several differing zuccini (colors and taste) to the exotics like spaghetti squash or the crooknecks.

I had such a wonderful crop one year, I had more than I could eat, freeze or give to friends and family. I decided to put an add on-line in the "free category" and simply said "Free home grown squash". In the first hour I received over 130 responses. I called or emailed the responders in order and was able to give away several bags to dozens of takers. I asked when they came for recipes or suggestions and heard everything from dehydrated squash "chips" (for those on restricted diets) to stuffed squash (much like stuffed peppers). I tried many of the suggestions and they were great.

Bottom line is if you've never tried growing squash, set aside some room. throw em in and watch em grow. I will show a picture of just a simple pick in a single day. Good luck and don't underestimate the humble squash.

I am a sucker for Squash. I had never ate it, until I had an encounter with a garden filled with them. Not only did it have Squash, but they also had zucchini. It grew so big.

I tried it right of the garden. I sauteed them in butter, and sprinkled seasoning on them. I was hooked. I love the squash casserole, and also add them to my lasagnas.

They are a great addition to my weekly diet.

Reaction score
Some of the pros and cons of squash are that some people find it an unappealing dish. I personally love it and find that it grows in what otherwise would be difficult soil, has large yields and is very good for you and versatile if you know how to prepare it.

Another good factor is that your crop will be very pest resistant just due to the nature of he hearty skin. If you are one who says I don't eat squash, consider the varieties from several differing zuccini (colors and taste) to the exotics like spaghetti squash or the crooknecks.

I had such a wonderful crop one year, I had more than I could eat, freeze or give to friends and family. I decided to put an add on-line in the "free category" and simply said "Free home grown squash". In the first hour I received over 130 responses. I called or emailed the responders in order and was able to give away several bags to dozens of takers. I asked when they came for recipes or suggestions and heard everything from dehydrated squash "chips" (for those on restricted diets) to stuffed squash (much like stuffed peppers). I tried many of the suggestions and they were great.

Bottom line is if you've never tried growing squash, set aside some room. throw em in and watch em grow. I will show a picture of just a simple pick in a single day. Good luck and don't underestimate the humble squash.
Summer squash is loaded in a large number of nutrients, very healthy for you to eat and easy to grow. It's like a super food it's so easy to grow!

Reaction score

I love squash. It's one of my favorite vegetables.
Be prepared to set aside a lot of space if you grow your own squash. These plants tend to take up a lot of room in the garden.
Squash tends to grow well and is one of those plants that doesn't require much attention. All it needs is the proverbial water, weed and watch (as it grows bigger).

Reaction score
I like it steamed, baked, a cooked on the grill , but I only really care for summer and spaghetti squash. I'll slice it lengthwise, pop into the steamer for a few minutes and then pull it out and scoop out the inside and mix it up with whatever I feel in the mood for. Then I sprinkle it with cheese and bake it for a few more minutes. I also make a lasagna with it substituting squash for the pasta....yummmm!

Reaction score
My favorite squash is spaghetti squash. If you prepare it correctly, it can replace pasta for those of us who have gluten-free diets. I bake it in the oven for about one hour, scrape out the strands of squash, put spaghetti sauce over it and it tastes delicious! It couldn't be easier and I'm planning to grow some in my garden this year because they are a bit pricey at the supermarket.

Reaction score
Ah grilled squash. I simply put a little olive oil, with garlic salt and pepper in a plate. Cut your squash lengthwise or if larger in rings (also try with eggplant) and grill in a pan or on the barbeque. It is so delicious, if you haven't tried it, I think you will be hooked.

Reaction score
It's all about butternut squash, I just pulled two off of the vine and baked them, I was shocked to find out they turned out to taste like yams, freaking delicious.

Ask a Question