Speeding up the composting process!

The Urban Farmer

Founder of The-Urban-Farmer.com
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
United States
Alright so I used to have a worm factory where I would do most of my composting. I got rid of it because I moved to Maui but have since returned back to Oahu and have built a small composter from cedar fencing. I threw some browns and greens and a good amount of already..composted..compost (is that correct?). I figured by introducing bacteria to the compost bin, I'd be speeding up the process. I was just wondering if you folks knew of any other ways to give the bacteria a boost?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Bacteria for composting? I'm not sure I get it right because what I understand with our compost bin are the earthworms that eat the biodegradable materials we put in. But wait, maybe it is the bacteria that is turning the compost materials into compost. Well, to be safe, I would suggest that you water the compost bin regularly so the composting will be quicker. And if you feel it right, include some leftover dishes in the compost bin - especially meat and fish - that would make the process faster.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
There are commercial as well as homemade preparations for speeding up the composting process. You can mix rice with water and then strain to collect the whitish liquid which is then kept under a bush to collect microorganisms suitable for composting. Then ferment for 3 days after addition of molasses. A small amount of this concoction which is am inoculant can be sprinkled on compost to speed up the decomposition process.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
In my experience earthworms speeds decomposing process and you will get high quality compost in few weeks. Using earthworms to speed up composting can be frustrating because you have to separate worm with compost manually. You can also use microbes to boost composting process. Calcium bi carbonate also helps in decomposing waste.

The Urban Farmer

Founder of The-Urban-Farmer.com
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
United States
Thank you folks for the info. I did have the wormfactory which was a tray system in which the worm castings would be sifted down to the lower tray enabling the separation of worms and compost. I guess I'm just dreading the 6-12 month wait LOL! Thanks again guys

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first serious attempt at composting. Like the Urban Farmer, I have soil, greens, veggies, and old leaves in mine so far. And I try to turn it several times a week. But I have never heard of the rice concoction. I am not wild about using worms as I really don't know where to get them where I live. Does the rice water really work????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my first serious attempt at composting. Like the Urban Farmer, I have soil, greens, veggies, and old leaves in mine so far. And I try to turn it several times a week. But I have never heard of the rice concoction. I am not wild about using worms as I really don't know where to get them where I live. Does the rice water really work????
Don't know about rice but if you add carbohydrates (molasses) it will greatly increase the decomposition time. Put about 1 oz per gallon of water and pour it over your pile about 2 times a month

Ask a Question