Something simple

Reaction score
I'm looking for something simple to grow in my kitchen window as a herb for my recipes. What's easy to start out with for a beginner grower?

Reaction score
I am told most herbs are pretty easy. I had a basil plant last year and it was very easy. I just bought one at a store, brought it home and watered it as needed and we had lots of yummy basil for quite a while. None of them are going to last forever, they eventually go to seed and you can either collect the seed yourself and start a new plant, or just buy a new plant, depending on what you want to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree with DancingLady. Herbs are easy to grow:) Personally, I love mint, because it smells really nice and refreshing. Thyme and basil are good choices too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chives are popular in my house and they are super easy to grow inside. I love to sprinkle fresh cut chives on my eggs or a baked potato.

Reaction score
I think most herbs are easily grown..i think it's down to your personal preference...you could try rosemary,thyme,chives,mint...whatever appeals to you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm with the majority here as well, it seems that most herbs are easy to grow and relatively hard to mess up ;) so just consider which ones you would enjoy having around the most, perhaps whichever ones you use the most or just like the best.

Reaction score
I think mint might be your easiest of easy ones. Some have said mint grows like a weed in their yard and they have to pull up all the extra that they don't want. You can probably get a mint plant from a friend if you know anyone who has it in their yard. It will be contained in your pot so you don't have to worry about it going crazy, but it should grow pretty easily.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grew mint during the summer which was fairly easy as stated. I think I over watered mine which killed the plant, so be aware of how much water you are giving you little plants so that you do not wind up like me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think mint is the easiest to grow and it grows really fast. It looks pretty when its full and lush. Plus, every time you brush it you have that yummy smell. I have a garden hanging from my kitchen ceiling and when the mint grows low enough to brush my head I smile. There's several different varieties out there. My personal favorite is the chocolate mint. It makes a delicious tea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Oregano would be what I would suggest, it grows quite easy and it is a herb that you will use. Just about any mint is fine, they are pretty close to indestructible. If you have a cat try a small pot of catnip. Just don't let kitty eat it all at once. I find the two hardest to grow are rosemary and thyme. They like it cooler and they are sensitive, My outside rosemary did great this year, I had quite a bit which is unusual. Whatever you do, if you go for mint do not put it in the ground, you will have that stuff everywhere before you know it. Made that mistake with lemon mint. Wow it replicated as far out as the front of the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree that mint is probably the easiest. It's a fairly hardy plant and grows extremely well. I've planted a few outdoors before and it grows so well that it can easily take over if it's not kept in check. I've given away plantings to friends and neighbors in the past because of how easy it grows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have successfully grown cilantro and parsley on the windowsill, but the parsley grew much better when I brought it outdoors in the spring. I let the cilantro go to seed, but I usually cut back the buds on my herbs as soon as they appear to keep them productive. You can start basil on a windowsill from a cutting, but it grows best outdoors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I had great luck with "spicy" basil. As long as you gave it water and some direct light it's almost impossible to kill. :ROFLMAO: It's happy in my south or north or east facing windows. Haven't tried west though. My mom has a starter off mine and she picks it *daily* and it's even bushier than mine is! Rosemary is another good one. As long as it gets some water it'll keep living. It does like some direct light too. With indirect light only it goes sort of dormant. Doesn't' grow but doesn't die. I had luck with red creeping thyme until I put it in the basement window. It grew like a weed when I had it on the porch though. One plant that didn't do well was my large leaf basil. As soon as we brought it in to overwinter it, it died. It was really tall anyways.

I will tell you one thing though, fresh basil doesn't like to be added while cooking! It looses most of it's flavor. It tastes best added on right as something is served or to dry it. Or just eat it fresh, it's that good. :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I grew basil and thyme in my kitchen window for years and it worked awesome. As long as you have 15 minutes to trim it each week and freeze the herbs then it will keep thriving! They don't require much just sun and water!

Ask a Question