Soil testing in md

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
does anyone know a good place to take samples of garden soil to in Maryland? ty in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
ty. trying to grow sweet corn. want to make sure soil is perfect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I've found county extension services to be very friendly and helpful. Your taxes have paid for that service so I recommend using it.
For starters, if you are willing to take those folks a soil sample they will know you are serious about gardening. This soil structure sample is very simple to obtain. In 4-6 areas take soil at a depth just below any root growth and put in a jar of water. Shake the contents vigorously for a few minutes then allow it to sit for 12-24 hours.

For soil nutrients I do my own with a purchased kit but you may like for those professionals to accomplish that.

Attachments

• soil test organic - 2017- capture  from 2009 .JPG
    soil test organic - 2017- capture from 2009 .JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've found county extension services to be very friendly and helpful. Your taxes have paid for that service so I recommend using it.
For starters, if you are willing to take those folks a soil sample they will know you are serious about gardening. This soil structure sample is very simple to obtain. In 4-6 areas take soil at a depth just below any root growth and put in a jar of water. Shake the contents vigorously for a few minutes then allow it to sit for 12-24 hours.

For soil nutrients I do my own with a purchased kit but you may like for those professionals to accomplish that.

Imagine that jar full of clay and it never...ever...settles. No sand no anything else..congratulations on having Alabama Clay like me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
If you've never tested the soil it's guessing. Ask anyone in my area and they will say we have nothing but sand. I believed those old timers until I became an old timer myself, questioned their advice and did my own testing to discover I don't have just sand.

Ask a Question