Help! Yellow sponge-ish thingy in my soil

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi! I have a Monstera that I've noticed as of late has been a bit droopy. She normally does this when she wants some water (I am really careful about not overwatering) and so I proceeded to water. No change. It has also had at least two new growths still curled up for about two weeks now (they would normally "uncurl" in a few days). So, I decided to check in on the roots and found quite a lot of this yellow-ish spongey-type thingy (I'm assuming a fungus of some sort?). Can anyone help me identify what it is and how to treat it? I assume this is hurting my plant in some form or taking away nutrients hence the droopiness and delayed opening of new growth. The roots, however, look fine. I've attached pictures for reference. THANK YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_8951.JPG
    IMG_8951.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_8952.JPG
    IMG_8952.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_8953.JPG
    IMG_8953.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 208
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what it is, but my best advice would be to remove it from the plant and repot it as soon as possible with fresh new soil. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The little round beads remind me of the round white glass beads used in hydroponics called perlite, possibly as a propagation medium. I do not know about the size, but the medium can come it different screened sizes. Perhaps you bought the plant and that is the original pot? If so it may retain a great deal of water, which could be a counter-intuitive situation since you are attempting to water it back to health. Its is hard to see. Perhaps @zigs might look. Minerals like perlite wont burn like organic fungal material if you sample some off for testing. If it proves fungal, using a antifungal drench might serve you better as you water it.

Ask a Question