TINY WORMS IN SOIL

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased an Aloe plant at a well known chains nursery. When I went to repot it I noticed very tiny worms in the soil that were flipping about. I always assumed that houseplants were put up in sterile soil. Has this happened to anyone and does anyone know what these might be. I tossed the soil, cleaned all remnants from the plants roots and potted up in new soil. Hopefully this will be enough to get rid of these creepy crawlies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No way of knowing without pictures what they were but if you totally rid the plant of soil I doubt if they will return unless they stuck to the roots. Houseplants and some vegetables are ROOTED in sterile soil but later repotted into a non-sterile soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I know what you're referring too but don't know the name of this pest. The sterilising process of soil/compost bought from garden centres here in Britain is not as thorough as it once was. The same could apply to what you buy in America.

If the worms return again remove the plant from the soil and cook the soil in a microwave oven for about five minutes. That should kill off any pests. Don't re-pot the plant until the soil has cooled down.

Ask a Question