Soil test info, tips , understanding?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Garrden was let go for years. Last year I did a clearing if brush and weeds, tilled the soil and planted some winter rye, tilled all that over again as the ground thawed. Sent off a soil sample and this came back.
I did a soil test last year before the work and only added lime.

Looking at it im a little lost on the results.
5A58BEE8-A30C-4E40-BD6C-216E23AC1289.png

Last years results
73BC2B27-07A7-48C7-8CCF-03A13E4BE551.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What I see is that your are really low on Nitrogen and just low on Potassium. Your sodium levels are low but your calcium levels are good and sodium and calcium sort of work in tandem, so I wouldn't worry much about the low sodium. What isn't shown is the amount available for plant uptake and this is important. Your Boron is a little low but easily fixed by adding a little 20 Mule Team Borax at planting. Your zinc is fairly high but since you are going to have to raise your nitrogen levels anyway adding nitrogen or phosphorus lowers the zinc levels and the phosphorus raises the Ph. All in all you seem to have pretty good soil. By just doing the basics of adding organic matter to the soil will give you good production and if you stay away from synthetic fertilizers in the long term you should have not a good garden but a great garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What I see is that your are really low on Nitrogen and just low on Potassium. Your sodium levels are low but your calcium levels are good and sodium and calcium sort of work in tandem, so I wouldn't worry much about the low sodium. What isn't shown is the amount available for plant uptake and this is important. Your Boron is a little low but easily fixed by adding a little 20 Mule Team Borax at planting. Your zinc is fairly high but since you are going to have to raise your nitrogen levels anyway adding nitrogen or phosphorus lowers the zinc levels and the phosphorus raises the Ph. All in all you seem to have pretty good soil. By just doing the basics of adding organic matter to the soil will give you good production and if you stay away from synthetic fertilizers in the long term you should have not a good garden but a great garden.
Im trying to find a good source of organic material locally. Im not generating enough on site to make much difference.
I live on the south shore MA so any tips on a good source or maybe a good bagged option , aprox 400 sqft garden

Ask a Question