Soil Electrical Conductivity Meters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have an interest in building a toolkit for my own soil testing. Mainly just tools to help keep everything between the lines so to speak. I was wondering if you use such equipment, and how you use it, like it etc. I ordered this tool with a little help from a birthday gift card.
Screenshot_20210822-023644.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Sorry but I limit out at reading about using resistance to measure soil moisture levels - like if you were going to build a watering system based around an Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Short answer is that was hit or miss and requires a long learning curve to build data from because my sandy soil will act differently than your clay or the next guy's compost.

Reaction score
Country
China
I use this type. Press the switch, then insert it into the soil and the value will be displayed.
soil tester.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry but I limit out at reading about using resistance to measure soil moisture levels - like if you were going to build a watering system based around an Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Short answer is that was hit or miss and requires a long learning curve to build data from because my sandy soil will act differently than your clay or the next guy's compost.
Yes I know what you mean. I measure the day after a rain, not when it is dry nor when it is soggy. It is not perfect but shows trends well enough.

Here is a link to the website for the product above. It is one of several, and I find it interesting what they are attempting to measure. It appears more diverse than what I was aware of and there is a menu for further areas of measurement with other devices. I cannot speak to any quality issues of course but it is neat that the tech is emerging.

Last edited:

Ask a Question