Soil volume, area vs depth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, due to uncooperative weather, I didn't get to prepare my garden as I normally do.

Typically, I till it, then form mounds for planting, leaving me foot paths. Typically the mounds end up 6 t 8 inches deep, width varies from 18 to 36 inches.

This year, I got it tilled and leveled to about a 4 inch depth.

I got to wondering if this might work better for some of my plants? I can imagine tomatoes and pickles might like to stretch their roots rather than dig deep. Taproot like carrots or parsnips of course need deeper soil. I can work on building up mounds for those.

Experience? Opinions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So, due to uncooperative weather, I didn't get to prepare my garden as I normally do.

Typically, I till it, then form mounds for planting, leaving me foot paths. Typically the mounds end up 6 t 8 inches deep, width varies from 18 to 36 inches.

This year, I got it tilled and leveled to about a 4 inch depth.

I got to wondering if this might work better for some of my plants? I can imagine tomatoes and pickles might like to stretch their roots rather than dig deep. Taproot like carrots or parsnips of course need deeper soil. I can work on building up mounds for those.

Experience? Opinions?
Consider the carrot. Planted in rich soil, it grows into a starfish because it need not go deep for nurishment. The plant has a plan, but the environment can make it adapt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
my carrots are usually small or stubby but not often multi pronged
Often, quite a while before the second planting, the fertilizing will cease around here. No need, and those slow cold crops cannot do anything with excess riches anyway because with 5 hours less light and 50% of the heat energy they are not processing like a tomato or an okra anyway. They will make you get in touch with your winter elf.

Ask a Question