So, here is my idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've been doing a lot of research today on what type of grass will work in my climate here in northeastern Tennessee with the soil being a very high concentration of clay. I'm going to go with perennial rye grass. I'm also buying a NorthStar Tow-Behind Trailer Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer - 21-Gallon Capacity, 2.2 GPM, 12 Volt DC gadget for my tractor to apply Tenacity for my weed problems. I may end up having to apply something else like 2,4-D along the way, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. After all I've read, it seems to be a great choice for this climate and this soil. I haven't read a single bad review about Tenacity yet either, so that's a big plus as well. I'm really looking forward to getting started with this, too. If my calculations are correct, I'll need between 50 and 75 pounds of seed to seed my yard with. I have one acre to contend with. I found a place nearby that caters to lawn care professionals, but they also have a storefront for rank amateurs like myself, and their prices are much lower than big box stores nearby. Perhaps I can even call my old lawn maintenance guy and have him buy the seed for me at cost. That would really be a great deal then!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep. Just from memory, ryegrass is a cool weather vegetable. I think your will have to have a mixture of grasses to cover the cold, dry, wet to hot, humid, dry environments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep. Just from memory, ryegrass is a cool weather vegetable. I think your will have to have a mixture of grasses to cover the cold, dry, wet to hot, humid, dry environments.
Yes! I think just about every grass seed mixture I've seen at the stores has been a mixture of various species. I think I should have probably said that I want the perennial rye to the be dominant species. Is that more accurate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gets in the high 90s here. You must be on the mountain over there. If you want to create your own ratio then try the CO-OP. Not sure exactly which types of grasses they have but I do know they carry annual ryegrass. They probably have perennial ryegrass, fescue, or whatever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gets in the high 90s here. You must be on the mountain over there. If you want to create your own ratio then try the CO-OP. Not sure exactly which types of grasses they have but I do know they carry annual ryegrass. They probably have perennial ryegrass, fescue, or whatever.
Our elevation is about 1200 ASL, give or take. The mountains are just east of us, though. We did have some high 90s last summer, and a stretch of high humidity, but nothing like Kalifornistan where we came from. 100+ degrees all the time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there any lawn seed farms in TN or Sod farms. What do they grow.

How “cool” does it get and for how long is the cool season for the grass growing season?

1. Irrigation ?
2. Soil test?

Im up in SE Mass its been hot and dry in the summers I went with Lesco All Pro Team Select about 6 years ago and been working on my soil since 2019 and finally my lawn looks great. Summer 2022 even with the draught I had to mow several times in july in aug , Never had to do that before, lol

Pick your seed carefully. I was weary of a mono seed choice only because if you have issues it affects all the lawn. I had a few fungus out breaks. One took out the really fine bladed grass in my yard. Left the other varieties alone. ??

Ask a Question