So disappointed with my my seedlings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
South west facing with a good sheltered are but lots of mature trees give shelter too.
Country
United Kingdom
I've planted 3 plug trays with 3 varieties of Cosmos and lots have come up in each tray. When I checked on them the other day to water most of them have shrivelled up though when I pulled one out the stem below the earth looks fine. They are about 3cm high with 2 leaves at the moment. I planted in general compost, in the greenhouse. they have a clear plastic top on the trays and I would say the soil is moist, not over wet and certainly not dry. I've taken the covers off now to see it makes a difference and I can save any. It was good seed, T&M so what have I done wrong. I was so pleased when so many came up. My peas in the same compost are doing great.

Many thanks for any advice you might be able to give me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got any pictures?

It kind of sounds like you cooked them if they were in the greenhouse with a dome over the tray. Yes take the dome covers off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Katie, hearty greetings from Kent :) I have made exactly the same mistake with Cosmos. In spite of having years working in a nursery, and running a small nursery business myself - it was the first time with this plant. It goes to show that we never learn everything on the subject of gardening :rolleyes: I got over the problem by leaving them until a bit later and then sowing the seed directly into the garden where they are to flower. I don't know why they didn't seem to like being in a seed tray, but if you hang on until sometime next month, get the patch ready and sow them then, they will come up all nice and tough, and you won't have the job of transplanting them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I had a similar problem with lots of small cosmos seedlings in 'tube stock' pots. I planted them into bigger pots successfully without separating them. They were root bound. Check the bottom of the pots to see if any roots are starting to come through.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
On the left tube stock with seedlings and on the right the cosmos that were planted in a larger pot without separating. Once the cosmos plants are larger and stronger I will separate then.

Attachments

• IMG_3508.JPG
    IMG_3508.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3509.JPG
    IMG_3509.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question