Planting spruce seedlings in the ground

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hello everyone,
I've grown three Norway spruce (Picea abies) seedlings last year and I still keep them in the pot. My question is: at what age should they be moved to the ground? Can I plant them, for example, this spring? I can't find any answer in the internet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I've grown three Norway spruce (Picea abies) seedlings last year and I still keep them in the pot. My question is: at what age should they be moved to the ground? Can I plant them, for example, this spring? I can't find any answer in the internet.
Hi there from the UK Dominik !

I would say once they are around a foot tall I would then plant them in the grown direct. They can grow around 2 - 3 feet or so a year. They like moist but well drained soil. If all three are in one pot I would possibly separate them into individual pots until they have grown to around 1 foot tall. I hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hi there from the UK Dominik !

I would say once they are around a foot tall I would then plant them in the grown direct. They can grow around 2 - 3 feet or so a year. They like moist but well drained soil. If all three are in one pot I would possibly separate them into individual pots until they have grown to around 1 foot tall. I hope that answers your question.
Thank you

Ask a Question