Small space potato growing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Going to get my hampers soon and get started on my potatoes. We're expecting another temporary blast of cold air next weekend, so will wait at least another week, but I'm determined to grow more food this time round. Will have to figure out storage later too!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I bet you'll have a head start on me, our last frost date isn't till the second week of April.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We are lucky in that it doesn't often get that cold or stay cold that long. Was just checking on the average temps for February. This gives an idea of what it's like:

Cold weather doesn't occur frequently in New Orleans. The southern city averages just six nights a year when the temperature drops to freezing. Weather that chilly is confined to December, January and February.

But any overnight frost always thaws during the day. Even in winter, every day normally has a high of at least 40 °F. Indeed, most days get much warmer. Only on nine days a year, on average, does the thermometer in New Orleans fail to make it above 49 degrees.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Six nights a year?

Blimey.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yup! There are some advantages to living in this part of the world :) I love that it's green year-round and that I can garden through all the seasons, though it's a bit of work when harsh weather moves in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since I'm in four feet of snow currently and I'm in a region notorious for snow lingering around, I've taken to try container farming in a corner of the house with some taters. Hard thing is keeping the cats from being curious. They're both older (13 human years) so I feel cautious bringing new stuff in, it can upset them. Or make them destroy it, as the house is 'their' space. Y'know how cats are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Since I'm in four feet of snow currently and I'm in a region notorious for snow lingering around, I've taken to try container farming in a corner of the house with some taters. Hard thing is keeping the cats from being curious. They're both older (13 human years) so I feel cautious bringing new stuff in, it can upset them. Or make them destroy it, as the house is 'their' space. Y'know how cats are.

Indoor plants and cats generally don't go together. You're going to have to create an area that is off limits to them. Trust me, they will get over it. You can also get a spray bottle and fill it with water to squirt with they go near the taters. Leave the bottle by the plants to send a message. They will adapt, especially if you give them their own catmint plant in a different area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an excellent idea. Since this is my first try growing food except tomatoes, I didn't know how potatoes work, I was just gonna start the eye in a little pot till spring then put it in the ground, So now I understand what is meant by "hilling up" potatoes. I think I'll try the wire though scared of the chems in tires leaching into the taters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Hey, Bees, did he have a video for planting as well? I'm wondering how much seed he used. Don't know what I would do with that many potatoes though, lol. Suppose I could trade them for stuff with mom and other gardeners.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just planted some International Kidney Potatoes in the cold frame :)

Ask a Question