Small space potato growing

Reaction score
I took on the task of growing potatoes two years ago, and after a bit of research, I ran across two really great ideas for making the harvest easier. Both, as it turns out, also turn a normally large scale operation into a much smaller space. I tried the tires because I had them.

The first method requires old automobile or truck tires. You'll need four or five of these, depending on the size of the tire and the length of your growing season. They should all be the same size, just for neatness and convenience, and you'll want to rinse any rubber dust from them; WASH any that have oil or auto grease with a mild soap. You may want to seed your potatoes indoors so that you have sturdy seedlings by the time you're ready to move them outdoors, but you can start them outdoors also. Start with one tire, a staple gun, and some weed sheeting. Staple the sheeting across one opening in the tire, and set this side down on the ground. Fill the tire with growing medium (I like the Square Foot Garden mix because it's rich and lightweight). Plant your seedlings deep enough in the tire that only about three fingers (2") of the plant is showing above the soil. Water regularly, but don't over water and keep any weeds that blow into it pulled. When your plant has grown about 6" - 8", set another tire on top of the first and fill with more growing medium or soil. Again, leave about 2" of the plant above the soil. Continue this pattern throughout the growing season until the plant turns brown and dies off of its own accord. To harvest, lift the tires one at a time. If you pull the tire sideways onto a tarp, your growing medium and potatoes will fall onto it, making it easy to just gather the potatoes and bag the medium or soil for the next time. You should get one or two potatoes for each time you covered the stem, up to ten per stack.

You can also use chicken wire fencing (this is a sort of hardware cloth with a 1" to 2" wire diamond pattern normally used for building chicken coops and similar) or hardware cloth. In this case the size of your "hill" is predetermined by the width of your fencing. This method is slightly more difficult to start, but much easier at the harvest stage. Begin by making a cylinder of fencing, roughly one foot in diameter, and wire weed preventative sheeting to one open end. Make sure that you can hook the side seam of the cylinder easily, and put a thin layer of growing medium in the bottom. Set your seed potato or seedling as in the tire method above, and fill the cylinder of wire carefully to within 2" of the plant's top, or if you're just starting your potatoes, you'll want them planted roughly 3" deep. You will need to pack the material a little more tightly with this method so that it stays inside the fencing. Water and weed regularly. As in the above method, allow the plant to grow a few inches, then bury it, leaving only a few leaves out to catch sunlight, continuing this process until the plant browns and dies at the end of the growing season. Lay a tarp at the side seam of the cylinder, unhook it, and shake your potatoes loose. Store your soil for next time. You can probably even save the fencing if the elements haven't taken a toll.

The fence method is a bit more flexible, as you can vary the diameter of the cylinder and get more plants in the space. Allow several inches between them so that you don't crowd the potatoes under the soil. The guide I read on this said no more than one seed potato or seedling per square foot of surface area.

Each time you cover the plant, a new root forms, so you do NOT want to add soil too frequently or you will only get one or two potatoes, all the way at the bottom of your stack, and none between there and the surface, or you will have tiny (golf ball sized) potatoes. Give the plant time to get some growth (about six inches, and several leaves) before you surprise it into starting another potato!

Reaction score
Trace, this is a really good idea. I knew a man (who was retired) who was going to do something similar with a barrel. He planted potatoes in the bottom and was going to gradually add dirt in the manner you describe. Unfortunately, he found a girlfriend who turned into a fiancée. Well, unfortunately for his potato plan, not for his life. The plan was abandoned.

Have you tried this or do you plan on trying it?

I would like to try it sometime. Is it okay if I print out your instructions? (I really like the tire version.)

Reaction score
I did the tire method and it worked great! It has the added benefit of being able to control the mess during the harvest, too, because you work top to bottom and slide them off onto the tarp. My potatoes were a bit small, kind of like new potato sized, but I think I might have started pulling them out too soon.

I cannot overemphasize the weed cloth at the bottom of the stack, by the way, unless you're going to set this on a sidewalk, deck, or driveway, and then you want something under it to prevent staining anyway.

Please feel free to print off the thread! Love to hear your results if you try it, too.

Reaction score
This is great for me! We use alot of potaoes and we have an abundance of used tires for some reason. I,m always looking to ways to reuse them. Thanks!

Reaction score
This is great for me! We use alot of potaoes and we have an abundance of used tires for some reason. I,m always looking to ways to reuse them. Thanks!

Like I tell everyone else who thinks this is a cool idea, PLEASE try to remember to come back and let us know your results. Frankly, I'm curious if the vertical method is what caused my potatoes to be small, or if I missed some other aspect of potato growing lore that made mine come out that way. If other people have the same results, then I'll have a better idea which it was. I know commercial potato farms use the row and hill method exclusively, but they have acres and acres of space and machinery to tend and harvest with, which I don't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I had a couple of new potatoes that sprouted so I got two cheap laundry baskets from the dollar store and covered the potatoes loosely with soil. I've just covered the plant shoots with more soil so the plants are good to go for at least another six inches. It's an experiment, but if it works, I'll be growing different varieties of hamper potatoes every year from now on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My way of growing potatoes is this: It is basically the same. On March 1 I went to the store and bought 1 1/2 lbs of large red potatoes.that had a lot of little "eyes". but nothing actually sprouting and IIRC cost $1.59 I cut the taters in half length wise and rolled them in dusting sulfur. I put about 4" of old potting soil that I had and fertilized it with about 4 cups of organic fertilizer. into the bottom of the pot, placed the potato halves cut side down and covered them with about 2" of the same old potting soil. It took about 10 days until the sprouts showed their little heads but after that they reached for the sun. When they were about 6-8 inches tall I added another 4 inches of that old fertilized potting soil and kept this up until the pot was completly filled with that same old potting soil. These pics were taken April 20. Since then I have had extremely hot weather (2 days straight of 99F)and Central Texas isn't all that condusive to growing potatoes anyway and not a drop or rain for weeks. I think I will have about another 2 or 3 weeks before the plants die and then I will let the potatoes (if any) harden off. I like growing potatoes like this because like Forrest Gump said "it is like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you will get". I will take more pics then and you can all commiserate with me if there is nothing there.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My plant got taller practically overnight! I have to hurry and get more soil to cover it with, but I wanted to give it a few days just to be sure I wasn't burying the plant again too soon and decreasing my yield of potatoes. I can't wait to see if my little laundry basket experiment actually works!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My plant got taller practically overnight! I have to hurry and get more soil to cover it with, but I wanted to give it a few days just to be sure I wasn't burying the plant again too soon and decreasing my yield of potatoes. I can't wait to see if my little laundry basket experiment actually works!
Hurry,it is getting a little warm for potatoes in our climate. I estimate 3 more weeks before the plants crater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hurry,it is getting a little warm for potatoes in our climate. I estimate 3 more weeks before the plants crater.

Crater? What does that mean? How warm is too warm? Also, would it make any difference if I move the basket into the shade? We are still having nighttime temperatures in the 50s here and afternoon highs in the 70s and 80s.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Crater? What does that mean? How warm is too warm? Also, would it make any difference if I move the basket into the shade? We are still having nighttime temperatures in the 50s here and afternoon highs in the 70s and 80s.
Potatos do not like hot weather, especially the kind we have. My current temps are exactly the same as yours and my plants look great for the most part. But you know what it is like in June and July. Cratering is when the plants start withering and dying no matter what you do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Potatos do not like hot weather, especially the kind we have. My current temps are exactly the same as yours and my plants look great for the most part. But you know what it is like in June and July. Cratering is when the plants start withering and dying no matter what you do.

Oh, I've certainly seen that. It just happened out of nowhere with my parsley. Couldn't be sure the plant wasn't sick so I chucked the whole thing, soil and all into the trash - didn't want to risk it in the compost. Almost lost one of my new plants, but it bounced back. I guess when summer kicks in I'll move the potatoes to a cooler spot. That's one advantage of container gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, I've certainly seen that. It just happened out of nowhere with my parsley. Couldn't be sure the plant wasn't sick so I chucked the whole thing, soil and all into the trash - didn't want to risk it in the compost. Almost lost one of my new plants, but it bounced back. I guess when summer kicks in I'll move the potatoes to a cooler spot. That's one advantage of container gardening.
Been there, done that. Won't work. They will become weaker and weaker, insects especially spider mites will attack and finally the harlequin bugs will arrive. This is one of the reasons why Idaho potatoes are grown in Idaho, our climate that is. Just let nature do it thing. After the plant dies let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks and let the potatoes in it harden off some, then harvest. Next year start your potatoes earlier in the year. I started mine on March first and should have started about Feb 1. They will not die during a hard freeze but the foliage will burn back. Growing them in containers makes it easy to protect them.

Ask a Question