Small house plant, or at least I have it in a pot

jul

Reaction score
Hello dear you all,

I am very new to this forum and specifically ended up here in order to try to identify this "baby" here I have at my place. I am in France (just to give some further context), and I must have bought it in a shop a couple of years ago. I tried to go back to the same shop when I realised I did not have its name, but I never found it again.
So, all I can guess is that it's not a ficus - I know it's not much - because of the leaves arranged in a way that does not make sense. I imagine that I can answer to the questions you'll have, details I am not able to identify now that I am writing this post.
Thank you all for all the help !!

82187793_488893628669945_890011438133805056_n.jpg
82375666_1203877463138526_1014336902968377344_n.jpg

(sorry for the bad quality photos...)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it is a croton. They like it warm, moist and with lots of light- although you probably know all that by now. Congrats on keeping it growing this long without knowing what it is. If you want to repot it, just go up 1/2" or so and use a rich organic soil. If you want to feed it use any regular houseplant food and follow the directions.
Happy plant parenting!

jul

Reaction score
Oh, a croton!! I had this idea...makes sense in fact! Truth being told there were 3 of them in the pot, only one survived my care and philosophy (very close to "the survival of the fittest", voilà) and I am so worried because it was love at first sight! I do what I can (keep the heating on ALL throughout winter, hire friends to water them while I'm away etc), but it still is north of France, sunlight is pretty scarse in winter, we cheer up each other I guess =)
Well, @cpp gardener thank you very much for your help and heads up, and thank you @Logan for your warm welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you should loose all the leaves this winter don’t throw the plant out. I have one that I thought had died the last two winters but with care it came roaring back each spring. Right now it is starting to pout and loose its leaves again.

Ask a Question