May I split a Sky Pencil Holly when it is small?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have 12 small Sky Pencils, and I wonder -since they are small and take forever to grow anyway- if I might take a knife a and divide them into 24.
15722790784025071582933095881078.jpg
15722825674028771551688830039825.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I suppose you could but why? They are supposed to be a multi-trunked tree with the upright trunks very close together. By splitting, it would lose its multilayered look. I would check the root flare. It appears it is planted too deep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I suppose you could but why? They are supposed to be a multi-trunked tree with the upright trunks very close together. By splitting, it would lose its multilayered look. I would check the root flare. It appears it is planted too deep
It is in the nursury pot. I have yet to plant them, as i just bought them yesterday. I selected multi trunk specimens on the off chance I could divide them. I know there are many plants that would come forward over years with other trunks, but some do not. Its not a big deal, 12 is enough work already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is in the nursury pot. I have yet to plant them, as i just bought them yesterday. I selected multi trunk specimens on the off chance I could divide them. I know there are many plants that would come forward over years with other trunks, but some do not. Its not a big deal, 12 is enough work already.
Commercial growers use cheap inexperienced laborers who are lax in their work and often, if not most of the time, invariably plant trees too deep when they repot them. Make sure to expose the root flare or in later years you will have problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Commercial growers use cheap inexperienced laborers who are lax in their work and often, if not most of the time, invariably plant trees too deep when they repot them. Make sure to expose the root flare or in later years you will have problems.
Instructions say 1 inch high so you are on it like The Great Carnac!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have several of these that I have been experimenting with this year. They are great shrubs and seem to tolerate various soil conditions. The only thing I would caution you about is don’t prune them. Let them go wild. The ones I pruned and tried to shape pouted for the entire summer. The ones I left alone grew like weeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have several of these that I have been experimenting with this year. They are great shrubs and seem to tolerate various soil conditions. The only thing I would caution you about is don’t prune them. Let them go wild. The ones I pruned and tried to shape pouted for the entire summer. The ones I left alone grew like weeds.
Thanks for that, I was planning to even them up in the first year after they get established. Did you notice any extra branching after you took off tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I understand. Our yard is not a formal area. These holly have a slightly rough appearance compared to the pencil shaped cypress of a similiar habit and I hope for a semi-natural look yet with some structure. Plus a restricted height. I am working above my pay grade here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They say to plant an inch high but , without checking, how do you know it isn't plante 2 inches too deep?
I will take the opportunity to follow the stem down when I plant. We have a lot of rain coming so maybe I can get that done soon. I will take a pic.

I read that all sky pencil holly are female. The male plant goes by a different name.

Last edited:

Ask a Question