Small flower lawn

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello everyone!

I am trying to rework my lawn that we have for half a year now. It got some damage this summer, some drying, a lot of ant nests all around and now in winter there is a lot of moss.

I dethatched half of it in autumn and put some seeds over (I think the birds got them). A lot of the old grass stayed in place and I think it can recover. I didn't have time for the other half and in this one the moss spread a lot. As an experiment to see how it goes I thought of leaving it this year to see how it recovers and maybe dethatch in autumn an renew.

Another idea for the garden, and this brings me to the subject of the post, is to turn it into a flower lawn. I am not particularly fond of green lawns. I find them artificial, monotone, dull. I saw a couple of years ago a house in a village with a lawn full of small white flowers (I don't know if you still call it a lawn). It was more white than green. From that point I said that I would love to have something like that one day. My idea is something containing small white flowers, almost at ground level.

Is this possible to make? What plants would work? Can I seed over the existing grass or should the entire grass be removed first? I suppose the old grass would go up through the flowers and when mowing this would also kill the flowers. Or maybe plant this in the moss spots (after removal) as I suppose the old grass is dead there. And do the seeding in steps with the thing that it will have patches of flowers, this could be also interesting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few things that will do it, depending on how much you want to use the lawn. When our two girls were growing up it was compulsory that I left daisies flowering in part of the lawn when I mowed, for daisy chains. :) White clover is good, and will take mowing and then flower close to the ground, watch out for bees when you walk on it.
I too had thick moss in my lawn, I have raked out the bit near the house, and after having some bare patches last summer it seems to be filling in and growing well. There is still a bit of moss, but I reckon I can deal with that come Spring without damage to the lawn. Further up the garden I have left the moss, it is green, it wears fairly well and it has a nice springy feel to it, plus there are snowdrops growing through it under the trees.
Worth considering some naturalised daffodils?
Try Googling "Grass alternatives for lawns". There are a lot of suggestions, there are a lot of suggestions, some I am unfamiliar with, but I guess it would not be difficult to research them.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
@Oliver Buckle thanks for the ideas. I'll check this on internet and experiment a bit. I kind of like the moss too. And I think I will always have it. In winter the sun is so low and there are buildings and fences all around so maybe 2 sq. meters get some sun rays. There were some daffodils last year. They could be a nice colour spot through a white carpet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Colchicum, commonly called 'autumn crocus', although they are not crocuses at all, would be another alternative. They grow naturally in grassy spaces in woodland so might do well in the lawn of your shady garden.

Ask a Question