Slug prevention?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the best thing for organically keeping slugs away from lettuce and strawberries?
I was going to try eggshells but wanted to ask first to make sure there wasn’t something better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lookup a slug trap. You can make one out of an old butter bowl.

Seems like I remember you can put a board down close by and then in the daytime pick it up and remove the slugs.

I've never done either of those as I've never really had to battle slugs before and plus I don't want to waste my beer on a slug.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A damp night , a flashlight and a plastic milk jug with the top cut off and filled with hot water. One of those thin disposable gloves is a welcome optional extra. Look under leaves as well, but they are usually fairly obvious, simply drop them in the hot water.

The board trick will work, but it takes time. Slugs and snails have a home they return to, from quite long distances sometimes, and it takes time before they adopt a new one.

I have never tried nematodes, but I am told they work.

Consider where they are coming from. Lawns and grassed areas are a major source, Give them something unattractive to cross to get to your beds. Anything within eight feet of a compost heap is in danger, site them well away. Pour boiling water down edges you can't get to and check under paving stones you can lift, they like safe hideaways.

Encourage predators, there are large ground beetles in most gardens, cut your edges with a steep slope so the beetle falls off the lawn into your bed and has to hunt there. I also have toads and slow worms .

The makers of modern slug killers call it 'organic', the active ingredient is an iron salt, which is relatively innocuous, but the iron causes liver failure in the slugs, I sometimes use a bit along the edge of the lawn where it joins the border. Remember it is a bait, it attracts slugs, so don't put it directly next to the thing you want to protect, use it where they will find it before they get there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A damp night , a flashlight and a plastic milk jug with the top cut off and filled with hot water. One of those thin disposable gloves is a welcome optional extra. Look under leaves as well, but they are usually fairly obvious, simply drop them in the hot water.

The board trick will work, but it takes time. Slugs and snails have a home they return to, from quite long distances sometimes, and it takes time before they adopt a new one.

I have never tried nematodes, but I am told they work.

Consider where they are coming from. Lawns and grassed areas are a major source, Give them something unattractive to cross to get to your beds. Anything within eight feet of a compost heap is in danger, site them well away. Pour boiling water down edges you can't get to and check under paving stones you can lift, they like safe hideaways.

Encourage predators, there are large ground beetles in most gardens, cut your edges with a steep slope so the beetle falls off the lawn into your bed and has to hunt there. I also have toads and slow worms .

The makers of modern slug killers call it 'organic', the active ingredient is an iron salt, which is relatively innocuous, but the iron causes liver failure in the slugs, I sometimes use a bit along the edge of the lawn where it joins the border. Remember it is a bait, it attracts slugs, so don't put it directly next to the thing you want to protect, use it where they will find it before they get there.
Slugs have a liver? I’ve learned something new today lol

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lookup a slug trap. You can make one out of an old butter bowl.

Seems like I remember you can put a board down close by and then in the daytime pick it up and remove the slugs.

I've never done either of those as I've never really had to battle slugs before and plus I don't want to waste my beer on a slug.
I do that with beer and it works good. It doesn't get them all but it definitely puts a dent in the numbers of them. There have been times I had a few beer while working in the garden and left the cans. The next day there was drunk slugs in them.

I have been told copper works well, they won't cross it to get to the plants. But that would be a very expensive way to keep them off the plants.

Ask a Question