Please recommend a good predator to control slugs (small).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
There are too many slugs(small) in my vege-garden. They almost ate all the tender greens. Some articles recommend ground beetles or Rove Beetles for Pest(Slug) control. Like this one http://www.empirepestcontrol.co.uk/pests/rove-beetle/
But I can not find where to buy those LIVE beetles.

https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/12-ways-get-rid-slugs-naturally.html
Since invasive species are not fun, we should all be wary of introducing new kinds of creatures to an ecosystem unless they are native and would be there anyway. That said, you can encourage native slug-hungry predators to inhabit your garden. For example, birds love slugs, so you could install a bird bath. Who else likes slugs? Ducks, chickens, nematodes, frogs, salamanders, newts, toads, snakes, turtles, hedgehogs, shrews, praying mantises, ground beetles, rove beetles, and fireflies, for starters.

We can buy mantises eggs from amazon, but mantises are very aggressive and they will eat other good bugs like ladybugs. mantises even kill each other for food.

Gardeners, can you tell me where to buy ground beetles or rove beetles? Or any other good predators to control slugs (small).

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A vegetable garden is not a natural occurrence in nature what with all the favorite bug foods in one small area. If it isn't one bug eating it, it is another and usually in larger numbers than Mother Nature commonly supplies. Adding beneficial insects is a great thing to do, but, in all reality, not a very economically or a useful thing to do. And the reason it isn't very useful is the fact that insects are difficult to train. They have a habit of flying off, never to be seen again. You would be much better off by putting toads in your garden for slugs. Or, you could do it the easy and safe way. Just get some Sluggo Plus and scatter it around. Kills snails, slugs and pill bugs too. It is also totally safe for pets and humans as it is made from iron phosphate and spinosad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
A vegetable garden is not a natural occurrence in nature what with all the favorite bug foods in one small area. If it isn't one bug eating it, it is another and usually in larger numbers than Mother Nature commonly supplies. Adding beneficial insects is a great thing to do, but, in all reality, not a very economically or a useful thing to do. And the reason it isn't very useful is the fact that insects are difficult to train. They have a habit of flying off, never to be seen again. You would be much better off by putting toads in your garden for slugs. Or, you could do it the easy and safe way. Just get some Sluggo Plus and scatter it around. Kills snails, slugs and pill bugs too. It is also totally safe for pets and humans as it is made from iron phosphate and spinosad.

Thanks Chuck. I tried sluggo a few times. The result is so so. Maybe I should try put more sluggo to the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. I tried sluggo a few times. The result is so so. Maybe I should try put more sluggo to the garden.
All I can say is that it works great for me. I suppose that I could have put it down rather heavily. I have a habit of "too much is just right".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
All I can say is that it works great for me. I suppose that I could have put it down rather heavily. I have a habit of "too much is just right".

Thanks for sharing good experience. I will put down more today.

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
You can make a beer trap. Drop a cup or tray in the ground. Fill it with beer.
Slugs love beer. They fall in and drown.

Ask a Question