Show us your Fungus Amongus!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I'd try starting an on-going thread where people could show off their wanted or uninvited mushrooms, fungus and molds of all types throughout the seasons. Things we walk past everyday in the micro-scapes of our yard. As in, any interesting or weird things growing in your compost piles, stumps or debris. We have a lot of it where I live with long periods of rain. Maybe some will preserve them here for others to enjoy or find interesting, before they disappear. I'm not sure it fits into Compost and Recycling category, but considering its job in nature it seemed appropriate. :) I'm not a fan of harmful black molds and stuff that kill my plants of course, but I think they're all interesting and pretty. This was growing on a small Photinia stump! You can see on the bottom photo where something has been nibbling or scooping bites out of it.

IMG_E1307.JPG
IMG_E1305.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Something has had a nibble out of this one...

DSC02589.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also have some pretty big pet fungus' that are at least 25yrs old. Growing on the side of our Willow Tree. People joke all the time it looks like the tree in Harry Potter. We also had two huge bracket fungi the size of a large serving trays. I always wanted to do something special with them should we lose the tree. Unfortunately, one night someone stole them both. :_(

We would get rid of them, but we're letting it all do it's thing. The willow tree itself should've died yrs ago. We originally dug it out of a 2.5ft x 12ft dirt mound it had been buried in - 138 wheel barrow loads of dirt later. It used to be very tall and was topped before we moved here, and not taken care of so it never healed up right. It's hollow in some places but just keeps growing. I prune it every year to relieve weight and keep it from breaking itself apart. We're just letting everything go through its process becasue the tree itself is in bad shape. Otherwise I think I'd try and save it. For now, it's an eye catcher and we're enjoying it for what it is and we'll propagate it when the times come and start another. These fungus kind of have their own personalities. Ha! The one in the photo my wife named Ebert, he's the biggest of the bunch. Kind of dull right now but subtly changes colors throughout the year. If any one knew the name of this fungi / fungus I'd be interested in knowing.... thanks for reading!

IMG_E1311.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, he's a good one @CreakyGardener :)

I was thinking maybe a Ganoderma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1681498794131.png
I wondered if that could be a "weeping conk"" (I looked it up, as I don't know much at all about fungus)

Ask a Question