Should I bury rubble into this patch of soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, this is my first post on the forum.

We're renovating our new garden, and I want to build a raised herb patch at the back of our lawn. The area previously had a lot of rubble (remains of an old brick shed) that had been dug into the earth.

I've cleared out the rubble and replanted some turf next to it, leaving a space where I will build the herb garden (see attached pics).

It occurred to me once I had removed most of the rubble, that I'll have quite a large volume to fill with soil. Is it a bad idea to partially fill the herb garden area with the rubble I've just removed? This would still be covered by about 50cm of soil on top, so I don't think it would interfere with the herbs.

Should I throw the rubble back in? Or get rid of it and fill the space with soil/manure?

Attachments

• IMG_3372.jpeg
    IMG_3372.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Wormery.png
    Wormery.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 86
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As long as you just want to plant herbs, go ahead and use the rubble in there. Take out any top soil for the raised bed. Most herbs enjoy poor soil and really good drainage, so your results should be perfect, and it gets rid of the mess at the same time.

It is good to have you on board, so welcome to our forum (y)

Reaction score
Country
France
Agree completely, we have various areas that have rubble in them and lots of natural rocks generally in all the Garden. The farmland all around us when turned over often has piles of huge rocks dug up by the farm machinery.. the area was mountainous many moons ago.
Creates good drainage so good for growing anything...Welcome to the Forum and sure you will find a lot of useful posts...

Ask a Question