Is this an Hibiscus? Leaves are drying up, how should I save it?

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hi everyone, as the title suggests, I have a plant - not completely sure about the type - whose leaves have been drying up recently.
If I'm not wrong, it should be an Hibiscus, I'm attaching the pictures...is that correct?

IMG_20201227_204411485.jpg
IMG_20201227_204421983.jpg

Anyway, I got it more than one year ago, I repotted it immediately using generic ground and it's been doing well since then. However, recently the leaves have been drying like you can see in the pictures.

I really don't know what's happening, I have both this hibiscus (?) and a poinsettia next to each other on a shelf in my bedroom, and both of them were doing great until a couple of weeks ago, when they apparently started dying. I'm afraid I might have exposed them to low temperature when I opened the window, since it's pretty cold these days where I live (Lubiana). We didn't get much sun either recently, so that might've contributed as well.

Is the plant an hibiscus? Any suggestions about how to save it?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, it is a Tropical Hibiscus.
How often do you water it?
How do you decide when to water it?
How close to a window is it?
Have you fertilized it? If so, with what, how much, and when was the last time?
There is something wrong with the root system which may have to do with watering, fertilizing and/or lighting.

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Yes, it is a Tropical Hibiscus.
How often do you water it?
How do you decide when to water it?
How close to a window is it?
Have you fertilized it? If so, with what, how much, and when was the last time?
There is something wrong with the root system which may have to do with watering, fertilizing and/or lighting.

Thank you for you reply!
I generally touch the ground to see if it's still wet, and if it isn't I water it.
I'm attaching a picture of the room. The plant is on the top of the shelf on the right (in the red box).

IMG_20210102_130302868.jpg

I generally slightly open the left part of the window. But, again, it probably didn't get direct sunlight for a month, the weather here is horrible.
I never fertilized it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would put it outside during the day, as long as the temps are above freezing 32 deg f (0 deg c) and bring it in during the nights. The best place to put it would be along a south-facing wall. You also probably overwatered it, Hibiscus usually like the soil to dry a little before watering, they don't like soggy soil. If the soil is dry at the top, that doesn't mean it's dry towards the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Large "dinner plate" hibiscus are very hardy, but die back to the ground in winter except in tropical climates. They are the very last thing to come back in very late spring so don't give up on them. Did I mention don't give up one them? - the most common mistake! Once they do, they go crazy. Ours go from zero to almost 6 feet high and wide each year and bloom continuously until the frost knocks them back again. Hundreds of huge blooms on the plant all the time.

Ask a Question