Sharing is Caring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Do you share cuttings/clippings/plants with your neighbors?

I was just thinking of it because my neighbor across the street is a pretty big gardener and gave us a few spare tomato plants and some marigolds to plant too. It's helpful because we were planning on planting tomatoes anyway - so getting some plants for free is a big score!

What about you? Do you share with your neighbors or do they share with you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
In our neighborhood, sharing the garden is common or maybe a tradition. Our mango tree in the extended garden (the vacant lot beside our property) is currently fruiting and once in a while neighbors would knock on our gate to ask for some mangoes. They go get it themselves, they had to climb the tree for that. Likewise with vegetables, they are free to pick from our garden particularly the lemon grass, moringa and other kitchen needs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
In our neighborhood, sharing the garden is common or maybe a tradition. Our mango tree in the extended garden (the vacant lot beside our property) is currently fruiting and once in a while neighbors would knock on our gate to ask for some mangoes. They go get it themselves, they had to climb the tree for that. Likewise with vegetables, they are free to pick from our garden particularly the lemon grass, moringa and other kitchen needs.

That sounds like a great neighborhood! Here, mangoes aren't commonly grown, and they're one of my favorite fruits! I would love to be able to just be able to knock on someone's door and pick a few mangoes! How fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We do share--the flower beds up and down the road have many flowers in common--the result of sharing cuttings and starts. We also always start too many vegetable plants, and give some of them away to fellow gardeners. We receive plants and produce, and give our extras away (anyone tried to give away zucchini?).
One of the major pleasures of gardening is sharing!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you share with your neighbors or do they share with you?

They share with me, they just don't know it. No, I don't steal their plants...:LOL:

We share a large burning pit, and last year I found that they cut down their Purple Coneflowers and Brown-eyed Susans and threw them in the pit, so I collected hundreds of seeds from them! (y)

They don't garden much, so I've never shared anything with them, but if they wanted something I had extra of, I certainly would. The world could use more native plant gardens!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
That sounds like a great neighborhood! Here, mangoes aren't commonly grown, and they're one of my favorite fruits! I would love to be able to just be able to knock on someone's door and pick a few mangoes! How fun!

It's just the same in other countries. I have heard from my relatives in California that some people would harvest apple and place the excess in the gate with a sign that says "help yourself." By the way, our road is a cul-de-sack (dead end) and there are only 6 houses so there is some semblance of brotherhood. It is mango time now and the trees abound with fruits that can number up to 200 in one harvesting. I'm talking about the small mangoes called Indian Mangoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
Yes of course. During the summer we like to plant toamatos and cucumbers and usually neighbours who have more plants give the rest of us what is left because they actually sell tomatoes and we have only 4 plants or so, using it only for our own needs. We also share flowers, also during the summer. Our balconies are colourful and full of beautiful flowers that we usually exchange with each other.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do that with my neighbors too! The neighbor to my right is a gardener and his has an avocado that hangs over into my yard. He lets me pick anything on my side and I get tons of avocados. No more paying $1 per avocado in the market! He also has an orange tree and just gave me two bags of oranges that I squeezed for juice yesterday. I have squash that I give my neighbors and I bake them pies!

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I used to do that with my neighbors but presently, I live in an apartment building where everyone keeps to himself. There are a few lovely flowering pots hanging from balconies across mine and I'm sure if I went over for some flowering tips I won't be turned down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That was nice of your neighbor! My neighbor gave me some lamb ear plants before, and some Roma tomatoes plus cucumbers. She has a bigger yard than I do, so whatever left that she doesn't use or want, I inherited them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
in my immediate neighborhood not too many garden as I do so the sharing is slight. Sometime on facebook I put it out that I have extra to give away of something when I need to thin out. Sometime get a response. As far as veggies, I think most of us rely on buying from the Amish, as prices are cheap compared to the work to keep a veggie garden.

Ask a Question