Shade flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Lot of my plantings for my gardens I got through mail order. Loved finding the special and unique plant. Forest Farms is a great mail order place. Heronswood is also, although Burpee bought it out a few years ago, have not ordered since then. Bluestone-stay away from. White Flower also good. If the company Shady Oak still is around they are wonderful for hosta's, tons of types and other shade plants. Don't shop at lowes or Home Depo for plants except annuals. I am fortunate to have a wonderful well priced nursery called Groff's about 30 mins from me, the selections he has are unreal. I enjoy the hunt for a special plant also, have a rare tree centered in the front lawn, took me 9 months to find it, most said they never heard about it, but tucked away in a tiny wee nursery down a crazy road there it was and at only $30.00. I had gotten a small book from Longwood Gardens where it lists all their plants and retailers where they buy them, it was in that book that l discovered the unadvertised nurseries.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hellebore or Winter Rose are a lovely shade plant and a come In a variety of fairly subtle colors and patterns. Mine should be starting to bloom soon as we half way through our first month of winter, not that I'm counting.......not sure if it's 10 or 11 weeks till Spring!!!!:(;):)
would you like to trade? I'll give you my sum wish spring and I'll take your winter? Seriously, this heat is killing me...

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's one nursery that I'm aware of, in the area. I just didnt know there was a really huge difference. It sounds like from now on I'll be driving the extra little ways to go to the nursery. When I do something, it matters to me whether its done right or not.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
would you like to trade? I'll give you my sum wish spring and I'll take your winter? Seriously, this heat is killing me...

The heat really is exhausting I agree. I do get very hot and bothered and quite flustered in the heat I must admit.:mad::confused: Hope you get a bit of a break from it LilAnn;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
It wouldn't be so bad if our hvac was still working, lol
We have a wood stove so my only winter issue is my husband getting the house too hot. In the summertime, though, box fans don't really make you feel better lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Foam flower (Tiarella cordifolia)
A single plant of Astilbe is attractive by itself.

Ask a Question