Semi dwarf gala apple tree help with pictures 6ft tall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a semi dwarf gala apple tree.. left it in its pot for 3 weeks before planting it ( while watering)... when I got the tree it was so full and healthy with zero imperfections.. the past 2 weeks I noticed the leafs are curling and some feel crunchy or died out... yellow on a few and blackish on others... I sprayed with neem oil just yesterday and gave it a good soak today... any other ideas as to what this might be caused by and how to treat this?
9764B849-0945-4EC5-831D-34D7496CCCBA.jpeg
2772FCB9-4875-4C2D-8D85-74531259C555.jpeg
1783B9CA-9F73-43AB-A4F8-10043196F70D.jpeg
EFE354ED-EC16-495C-B76E-B67AA586978B.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks like a classic case of transplant shock, and sometimes with that it leaves the tree vulnerable to all types of pathogens, and insect pest. That’s why when planting a new tree you don’t want to prune it, or fertilize it until it’s second season. This helps keep all the energy where the tree needs it most, in the roots so that they can get established faster and easier. Now that trees doesn’t look too bad, cut off any dead wood and I’d spray it with Eagle 20 ER, a systemic fungicide, the tree will absorb it and it will help cure the problem, apply two sprayings 10 days apart, after that use a topical fungacide like Deconil every 2-3 weeks, and mix Liquid Seven with both fungicides. Use your finger and push it into the ground next to the tree, as long as the dirt is moist you don’t have to water it, if your finger comes out dry give it a gallon of water, do this a couple times per week, especially if it’s hot, and make sure you mulch the tree well and keep the area around it free of fallen leaves, dead branches weeds and grass.
Good Luck,
Paul

Reaction score
Country
United States
I appreciate this so much. I unfortunately Pruned it and didn’t know I wasn’t suppose to! :cry:
it’s already putting out little baby new growths. I hope I don’t damage it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don’t sweat it too much we’ve all made that mistake, it’s just gonna take the roots a little longer to get established. just use the right amount of water, do the finger test, you don’t want your finger coming out of the ground muddy, or dry, just nice and moist. Put it on a spray schedule, you dont want any pathogens or insects to stress the little tree anymore than newly planted trees already are, mulch it good and you should be ok.

Ask a Question