Dwarf lemon tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am hoping that someone can help. My lemon tree is suffering. I thought it could be overwatering but reduced watering doesn’t seem to have helped. I have repotted it with a citrus compost, it has blossom but the leaves are very pale - any advice most appreciated
0FA056A7-B46C-4DA5-BFA9-E293BD69A9FD.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all. I am hoping that someone can help. My lemon tree is suffering. I thought it could be overwatering but reduced watering doesn’t seem to have helped. I have repotted it with a citrus compost, it has blossom but the leaves are very pale - any advice most appreciated View attachment 78920
Can you get clearer photos of the white part of the leaves? It looks like it could be interveinal chlorosis but something doesn't look right. Need a better view.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like you might have spider mites, as far as whether or not that's the underlying issue here I'm not sure.
Do you use regular tap water and if so, do you know if you have hard or soft water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply - please see attached photos as requestedView attachment 78960View attachment 78961
I can't be 100% positive but I am fairly sure you have one or both of the following. First instar of citrus thrips or spider mites and/or a micro-nuturient deficiency. Spray with a spinosad based product such as Captain Jacks and do a soil drench with Chelated Iron.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like you might have spider mites, as far as whether or not that's the underlying issue here I'm not sure.
Do you use regular tap water and if so, do you know if you have hard or soft water?
Hi - I use tap water and the water is soft. I water it outside and leave it to drain so that it’s not sat in water as I’ve heard that they don’t like to be too wet

Reaction score
Country
United States
Leaving it out to drain is a good idea. I would actually leave your tap water out for a few hours first so the tap water can off-gas the chlorine added to public water sources. Chlorine in high enough levels can harm the plant roots and can turn the leaves yellow, and eventually kill them.
The spider mites are definitely part of the problem, but since you have soft water I'm thinking low iron part of the issue too, as @Chuck said. I would follow their recommendation with the chelated iron and dealing with the mites.

Ask a Question