Seeds and More Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Well here in california most people don't have to worry about frost after March but I am not one of those lucky people. As I posted in my introduction post I am planning on starting a Homesteading type garden with the intent to provide local produce to the small population around me. Most people agree that the veggies (especially tomatoes) in the grocery stores are getting worse and worse as they are picked green in some southern country and then shipped to the United states ripening on the way. This robs the plants of lots of nutrients.

As of today I ordered a 20"x 48" heating mat for germination. I have some leftover equipment from growing large flowering plants under lights about 6 years ago. I have a collection of High pressure sodium, Metal Halide and T5 grow lights. I think the T5 lights will do great for seeding my plants with a heat mat in the garage. Temps are in the 40's at night right now so that should keep temps in the non-attached non insulated garage about 65-70. During the day it is about 60-70 degrees. I have been using the T5 bulbs as a high bay light in my garage so all but 2 bulbs are burned out. (out of 8)

Questions!
With enough seedlings to cover 20"x48" would 2x T5 54 watt bulbs be enough to germinate and start growing a variety of peppers, tomatoes and melons ect? I can get more bulbs but I don't really want to blast the seedlings with light either.

I have had mixed results but can I grow lettuce varieties in 1 Gal plastic pots or would that be to constrictive for the roots? Possibly thinking of doing the old Sea of green technique where I start new seeds 2 weeks at a time and continuously produce young lettuce rather than full heads. Younger is more tender? I know its that way for bok choy.

I'm new to all this so I am learning all I can about it. I'll keep the updates coming as I plant my seeds, install my lights, setup the heating pads and start sprouting. I will be making raised beds with a rotor-tiller, installing some drip line on timers and planning out the garden for some Co-op planting. I have shade and sun. I can remove some trees if needed but I would rather not. I also have WAY more acreage if needed all of it is generally hilly though. I dont want to bite off more than I can chew.

Any questions or feedback would be great and welcomed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
So far so good. The t5 bulbs are rated at 5000 lumens each. That's about 1600 lumens per square foot. Attached is today's progress at 9 days...

Ask a Question