Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Good Morning everyone,
I am new to the site and I'm just getting started in gardening. I have worked in the technology industry for over 14 years doing very high level IT work. I'm ready for a change in pace. Our house is in the foothills of California and I own about 5 acres of sloping land. The plan is to start out my garden from seeds, build some greenhouses, harvest my veggies and fruits and sell them near my house on a farm cart. Other people have done this in the past in my area for a few years and made enough money to put a down payment on a house. For some reason nobody continues after a few years. I'm aware that i may make zero money doing this but i have 2 young sons almost 1 and 3.5 who would love to spend some time with their dad outside. I'll keep the posts updated in the project logs and possibly make a small blog and a few YouTube videos along the way.

-John

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum John :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to gardening forums @tNtRanch.

I think you will find gardening very beneficial and relaxing after all that IT work, and will be doing your little boys a huge favour helping them to learn about the way things grow. It is great being able to garden on a slope, and a good opportunity to create an interesting space. It would be lovely to have a look at your space, and maybe you would be able to upload a picture or two of it for us to see ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Here are some photos of the area. I didn't have any time at all today to plant seedlings but I got some random seeds from the walmart. I have been home for 2 days with a laundry list of chores. First thing is a massive leak under the slab of the foundation of the house. I may find a basement swimming pool once I find the leak. Being a hands on kind of person I stethoscoped the leak with an old scope and got to work jack hammering the concrete to locate the issue. I'm in the process of narrowing down the leak but I made good progress today. I also am learning a ton about how the water is distributed in my house. I'm always willing to learn something new. I found one photo of where I want to start our mini farm which is on my property. Slight grade with a road and access to water at the site. I have a private well with no shortage of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum, John! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
Ok well the Floor has been pulverized, the pipes replaced and the hot water working once again! The elbow fitting started leaking at the threads and was leaking under the foundation. It was leaking so much that the hot water heater couldnt keep up so we had no hot water. Its all happy again. Bath and shower water is flowing from the magic faucets. Nobody thinks about this stuff until they are jackhammering the floor of their sons closet. (luckily I had a jackhammer available)

Pictures or it didnt happen :)

edit for typing too fast

Last edited:

Ask a Question