Seedling Fertilization

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok. Tried again. Same thing, yellowish true leaves.

They were started outside (4-18) in my mini greenhouse set around 80F. Plenty of sun. Miracle Gro potting mix. Started sprouting on 4-25. Temps 50-80F after they sprouted. No fertilizer yet. Letting soil get dry before watering. No fungi, what you see is chlorantholanil. Right now they are 3 weeks old since planted and biggest one has 2 true leaves and can barely see another leaf trying to form.

I'm leaning towards needing to start fertilizing sooner than what I am. I don't think MG potting soil is what they claim it is. What do you guys think?

20220508_182859.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This batch of peppers I am giving 60 ppm N every watering as soon as the true leaves start forming (tiny tiny true leaves) and then upping to 120 ppm N every watering as soon as the 4th (and 5th) leaf starts to form. They do get a little yellowish to begin with (as you see) but then green up, so I know I'm pretty close. I'm thinking you might be able to raise the N to 90 ppm N then 180 ppm N every watering. When they get 10" tall or so I'm also thinking the N should be raised too, maybe 240 ppm N. Still tuning.....

20220516_191703.jpg

On a sidenote, I started giving cucurbits (squash, watermelon) 120 ppm N every watering as soon as the first true leaf started developing until I transplanted them. That ranged anywhere from three times per week to once per day as they got bigger. They develop one true leaf first instead of two unlike peppers. That worked pretty good but they grow big and fast so it doesn't take long to outgrow a 2" x 2" cell.

Ask a Question