Seedlings Damping Off

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I'd try my hand at starting veggies from seeds this year, rather than buying them already grown. Unfortunately, each time they sprout, they wilt to nothing within a few days. I've heard this is termed "damping off" and is the result of fungus in the soil from too much water/humidity. The problem is that each time I try a fix, it doesn't seem to work.

The first time, I placed the seeds in small biodegradable 10-pack cubes with soil, sprayed them, put clear wrap over them and put them on the ledge of a sunny window. Most sprouted with a few days and looked great until they suddenly wilted. I sprayed them with water once a day during this time.

The second time, I changed the soil and repeated what I did before, except when most of the seeds sprouted, I removed the plastic and stopped spraying, figuring I'd water every 2-3 days. They wilted by the second day.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions. the seeds are for mixed lettuce, scallions, bush beans (second effort) and Italian parsley.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Damping off disease can be controlled. This is what I do and I haven't had damping off in many years. First is to use a good potting mix and make sure that it is sterilized. I sterilize mine by heating it to at least 160F. When doing small amounts such as a couple of gallons of soil I just build a fire in my Weber BBQ. Second is to germinate the seeds at a high temperature. I try to keep my potting soil at least 75F. Then I sprinkle either cinnamon or whole ground cornmeal on the surface and basically this is all you have to do. Some folks use a spray mist of hydrogen peroxide also once the seedlings are up. From your description I am not sure if you even had damping off. Damping off normally does not cause a baby seedling to just suddenly wilt and fall over. There is a telltale sign of damping off and that is when you see the stem of the seedling at the very base of the plant shrivel up to almost a thread like diameter. After this happens seedlings usually keep standing upright for a short period of time before falling over. Once infected with the fungus there is no cure. The secret is to eliminate any and all of the fungal spores before planting the seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
small biodegradable 10-pack cubes
It sounds as though you are doing things right generally. I don't know how small 'small' is, but seedlings like constancy and the bigger the volume of soil the more constant the temperature and the humidity. The biodegradable stuff will also lose water over its entire surface so it can dry quite quickly. I hang on to the expanded polystyrene six space containers that my missus buys stuff in occasionally and find them really good. I slip a piece of cardboard in to cover the hole where the last occupant was pressed out. I think the insulative quality helps keep temp. constant, it is what the professionals use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chuck posted whilst I was writing. A tip for sterilizing. A nursery I knew used to have a container with a feed from a wallpaper stripper going into the bottom, worked well with no fuss or mess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the helpful replies. Regarding sterilizing the soil, I wonder if putting it in a microwave would work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for the helpful replies. Regarding sterilizing the soil, I wonder if putting it in a microwave would work?
I sometimes incorporate wood ash and find the occasional nail, which wouldn't go down well in a microwave :) I don't know what stones would do, they can explode in a fire sometimes, but I suppose without water in them they might not get hot.

Ask a Question