Curly Kale Seedlings - fungal infection?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Any idea what might be going on with some of my curly kale plants? They seem okay, but some leaves are turning yellow and then the edges of leaves get crunchy. I keep the soil moist but not super saturated they are under lights for about 10-13 hours a day. Or is this something that is leaf scorch and not enough water? I have the lights about 7" from seedlings I would say.

Attachments

• curlykale.jpeg
    curlykale.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are number of possibilities here. If you feel and soil moisture and drainage are adequate, then investigate the light and heat.
Measure with a light meter and thermometer.
You didn't mention fertilizer. If not fertilized, give the seedlings an application of a complete, liquid fertilizer. It will be a benefit in any case, and rule out the possibility of a nutrient deficiency.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I am using a seed starting mix by Burpie (organic) that says it contains fertilizer, but I'll have to read the NPK on that - not sure it's even listed. Would you still recommend I try a fish emulsion fertilizer or something else? I'll see if I can monitor temperature and heat. I do have 4 fluorescent daylight tubes I'm using so it is fairly bright. Perhaps, I'm letting the soil dry out too much between waterings, but I'll monitor moisture with a meter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
If the soil contains fertilizer, it should be sufficient for now. Still, you could try adding a bit more to be sure. Maybe apply it to half of them first and see if you notice a difference.

Ask a Question