Searching a plant - Outdoor during summer and can be taken indoor during winter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone, I am a gardening beginner and need your expert advise.

In the past 5 years, I had been lucky to have two big snake plant in their pot. During summer, I put them outside except they receive full sun which might be too much for them. Every year, I took them indoor in October. They looked really nice inside the house, however, they don't receive sufficient sun light inside the house during winter. For some reasons, both of them died the past winter.

I live in Toronto (Zone 5), and I am looking for a type of plant that
  • can thrive outdoor during the summer beside he pool and the lounge chaise
  • can be taken indoor during winters
Thanks very much,
Alick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get yourself a ficus plant to start with. Weeping Benjuman are easy to grow and a pretty plant that can go outdoors in the Summer. All my indoor plants go outdoors in Summer shade. I have to watch them very closely and not let them dry out.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks oneeye, I will do some homework based on your suggestion. My only concern as I alluded to in my original post is the full sun exposure. I know it's hard to find a plant that can handle both, but still trying. Thanks again, I appreciate your advice.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A European olive tree might do well where you are outside in summer. They can be grown indoors but need to go out in the summer for lots of sun. I've had lemon trees that I would put outside in the summer and keep inside the rest of the time so that might be another option.

Ask a Question